Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1990 Honda Civic LX dying while idling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MacaylaB is an unknown quantity at this point
1990 Honda Civic LX dying while idling.

Hello,
I am desperate so I'm hoping somebody on here can help me and my mechanic.
I have a 1990 Honda Civic LX 1.5L. Her name is Trudy and she is my baby (I've had her for 7 years.) She started having issues at the beginning of the summer. First, the alternator needed replaced in June. Then one day in July, the RPMs and interior lights all started flashing and flickering like crazy. Was told it needed the valve cover gasket and all new spark plugs, wires, etc. because 2 of the plugs were coated in fuel. Got that done. And the newest issue... from about August to now the car will just randomly want to die while it is idling or when I stop throttling the vehicle. The RPMs will drop to zero and the car will just die. Sometimes it'll start up right away, sometimes it won't. I have had the main relay replaced, the ignition switch, and the distributor was done last year in November. I have her at a different mechanic, and he has had it for a week. It has only died on him once this whole week, and he couldn't test the fuel pressure in time to see if it was the pump. He thinks it might be the fuel pump, but doesn't want to just start fixing randon things if he doesn't know for sure if that is it. Any ideas...? Things to look at? The throttle body is supposedly fine. I'm just so lost and don't know what else to look for. Thanks for any help or ideas.