Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine continue to run with brake pedal applied. No joy with ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
khraviation is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine continue to run with brake pedal applied. No joy with ignition switch

My 1991 Honda Civic SI has been with me since new. It has 295000 miles on it. I had an issue a month ago, when I turned off the ignition switch, the engine continued to run until I took my right foot off the brake. I have changed the brake switch, the rubber stopper pad on the brake pedal, the ECU, ( I have a few spare parts ), and the parking brake light switch. The car runs great, but it will not shut down as long as the brake pedal is applied. The brake lights work great with the pedal and new switch when the key is off, so I am starting to believe there is a feedback through something electronic... The Integrated Control Unit, the automatic seat belt motor... Anyone else ever see this issue?
Old 09-02-2019
Registered!!

Re: Engine continue to run with brake pedal applied. No joy with ignition switch

And the ignition switch...
Old 09-02-2019
Registered!!

Re: Engine continue to run with brake pedal applied. No joy with ignition switch

Finally found the issue. I studied the schematic for the closest combination of the two different systems. Found it on the right fender. The main circuit breaker system had both system wires within 3/8 inch of each other cleaned the old grease out of the connector, and the terminals, and put clean Dielectric grease, and it now works again as the manufacturer intended.
Old 09-03-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

glad you got it solved.
I had nothing on that.