Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

honda civic 2001 1.7 16v automatic, rpm injection system problem.

Old 10-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hitspark is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy honda civic 2001 1.7 16v automatic, rpm injection system problem.

hi guys, i'm kinda new here but i'll try to explain my problem, i have a 2001 honda civic 1.7 16v automatic that has been giving me a lot of trouble, i just bought it from a second hand owner and i started driving it for one month until the problems appeared, the first time the car just wouldn't turn on, so i had to recharge the battery and all good and then the ignition system module stopped working, so i had to buy another one. the mechanic had it installed and the ignition system got back to normal but i notice that the ignition system light wouldn't turn off when i turned on the car, the mechanic got in the car with me so we could drive and test it and when the car reached 4000rpm it started failing until it had completely turned off and notice that the ignition system light was always on.

i'm with the car doing some tests now and i can only drive it around 2000 to 3000rpm because if it reaches 4000rpm it starts failing and turns off and when this happens i have to wait around 10mins to turn it on again and start driving, its like something is blocking the rpm. i would like to know if you guys have any thoughts on what can it be the problem.

thanks.
Old 12-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ccol19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: honda civic 2001 1.7 16v automatic, rpm injection system problem.

Originally Posted by hitspark
hi guys, i'm kinda new here but i'll try to explain my problem, i have a 2001 honda civic 1.7 16v automatic that has been giving me a lot of trouble, i just bought it from a second hand owner and i started driving it for one month until the problems appeared, the first time the car just wouldn't turn on, so i had to recharge the battery and all good and then the ignition system module stopped working, so i had to buy another one. the mechanic had it installed and the ignition system got back to normal but i notice that the ignition system light wouldn't turn off when i turned on the car, the mechanic got in the car with me so we could drive and test it and when the car reached 4000rpm it started failing until it had completely turned off and notice that the ignition system light was always on.

i'm with the car doing some tests now and i can only drive it around 2000 to 3000rpm because if it reaches 4000rpm it starts failing and turns off and when this happens i have to wait around 10mins to turn it on again and start driving, its like something is blocking the rpm. i would like to know if you guys have any thoughts on what can it be the problem.

thanks.
hey man...I don't know if this is related to your issue, but I just posted a reply on the topic of a vtec (surge) problem on a thread above. Let me just say this: your problem caught my eye because my 2003 honda civic ex 1.7 vtec was doing something similar. It WASNT cutting off and dying or anything like that, but when i tried to pass someone, and it tached out to right about 3900 or 4000 rpm (every time it was this same exact rpm), it would start doing this surge...it would sound is if you were turning the key on and off quickly, like the engine was just oscillating back and forth...it sounded almost like you were sitting with your car idling and quickly just gunning it up and down. It wouldn't let me go faster and would not rev over 4000 rpm. I suspected it was a vtec control problem, and this was further confirmed by a lot of research. Now, before I go any further I want to say that, without knowing, I had let me oil get low, wasn't even on the stick. I put a quart in (all i had with me on the highway) and even though it still wasn't showing on the stick, I started it up and went on my way. The surging was gone! I could rev it past 4000 rpm no problem. Now....you are going to say that your oil level is fine...which is what I assume. Im not saying specifically that your oil is low and that is what is causing your problem, but what im saying is that there is a point in the rpm band where a lot of people are having vtec problems...around 3800 or 4000 rpm. You could be dealing with a clogged up gunky vtec solenoid, or a faulty wire....something to do with the vtec solenoid on the rear passenger side of your engine on the back of the head. There are a lot of vids on you tube to help you locate it. That being said...yes it could be an ignition issue, or even an ECU issue...but you said the ignition had already been dealt with? I think? Anyway...the vtec problem (if it is one) could be affecting the computer or making it go into limp mode...not sure if this is your case. But its worth mentioning. By the way...final statement,,,,if your mechanic is replacing parts and the same things are happening, then I would switch mechanism...most of them these days just repair what COULD be the problem, without having the skill to properly diagnose today's computerized cars. Just sayin' ....you don't want to fix what could be wrong, you want to know what's wrong and have the real problem addressed. Good luck