Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1985 Honda Civic Gasoline Smell

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DasAuto is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 1985 Honda Civic Gasoline Smell

Hello!, I recently purchased a 1985 Honda Civic 1.3L, I have been driving it around for quite some time and there are just a few small issues I would like to address but there is actually no information online about this model (It's all about that Si model). Whenever I idle or just start the car from cold, or when I accelerate hard I smell a very slight smell of gasoline, it doesn't happen all the time and its nothing really strong you really have to smell the air to notice it, but it is there and I was wondering if it was a fuel leak from the carburetor but I am new to carburetors and I have no idea what it could be. I've always been around German cars so I am in foreign territory I don't know anything about Honda's. Thanks for reading! If you have any questions feel free to PM me or just reply, I will check daily.
Old 12-16-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1985 Honda Civic Gasoline Smell

Look for the obvious, evidence of leaks and drips in areas that handle raw fuel. Mechanical fuel pump? Is it seeping? Vacuum lines rotten?

Cars that old are almost nonexistent in my area of the salt belt.
OLD cars can smell quite different from modern cars. You might smell raw fuel, rich running with the choke on, any oil leaks that reach hot parts of the engine and exhaust are gonna stink, fuel tank vented to atmosphere, raw exhaust fumes coming through the front or the rear of the car (that smells like an old lawnmower because of leaking ahead of the catalytic converter or the converter is now hollow)

Any odors that originate in the engine compartment can enter the cabin through holes in the firewall, the ventilation system, open windows, and gaps in seals.
Exhaust from the tailpipe can be sucked in through the rear of the cabin too

Interior of those old cars just smells so different too. Same for old German cars as well LOL