Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 Civic stalls at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point
93 Civic stalls at Idle

My 93 civic 1.5,5 speed started jerking on Friday like I was running out of gas....in 1st gear the car was sputtering with little to no power...I was able to make it home in 2nd gear feathering the clutch and gas at the same time to keep the car running! So on Saturday morning I cranked the car to figure out what happened on Friday....the car idle high as normal at a cold start but when the car warmed up it started to sputter and eventually died...but it cranks right back up but it will only stay running if i hold the gas pedal down...when I let go the car dies!
Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: 93 Civic stalls at Idle

kind of sounds like the ignitor in the distributor is starting to fail. when this happened to me i made it home by buying a bag of ice from the gas station and packing it around the distributor in ziplock baggies. if it only happens after the car is warm, you can try this and see if it helps the car remain running once warm. this part failed in my uncles integra, my 93 civic, and also in my prelude. icing the distributor helped me diagnose it(and in all cases, got us back home).

any codes? check the codes!

don't spend any money, i'm not saying you need a distributor, just to ice it next time it happens. if it gets better after 5 minutes or so, it's your issue. i would also check the fuel pressure if you are able to safely do so
Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

coolbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobertD
kind of sounds like the ignitor in the distributor is starting to fail. when this happened to me i made it home by buying a bag of ice from the gas station and packing it around the distributor in ziplock baggies. if it only happens after the car is warm, you can try this and see if it helps the car remain running once warm. this part failed in my uncles integra, my 93 civic, and also in my prelude. icing the distributor helped me diagnose it(and in all cases, got us back home).

any codes? check the codes!

don't spend any money, i'm not saying you need a distributor, just to ice it next time it happens. if it gets better after 5 minutes or so, it's your issue. i would also check the fuel pressure if you are able to safely do so
I had the distributor in mind...I can get one off ebay/amazon(fully assembled)around $60
Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

be careful with that. after 30 days, ebay has nothing to do with any warranty the seller may offer. i know many people that have been burned by this... like seller offers a lifetime warranty, then if you have an issue after the month is up, the seller simply doesn't respond, knowing after 30 days ebay won't help you
Old 02-26-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

do not buy an aftermarket distributor