Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Slow acceleration between gears

Old 09-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
forevermemorabl is an unknown quantity at this point
Slow acceleration between gears

I have a 1995 Honda Civic DX 1.5 non-vtec engine (engine #D15B7)...the car has an automatic transmission.

I have noticed this issue start a year ago. Whenever the car changed gears, there is a pause between gears, as if the car is having difficultly changing gears. And when the gears are changing and the car is hesitant, I can feel the gas being applied, but no acceleration between gear shifts. The best way to describe it is, if you accidentally hit your stick into neutral while the gas is being pressed, you feel the gas being applied, but of course, no acceleration.

This issue is really annoying and the car takes extra time accelerating when I first take it out on any given day. After the issue was noticed and more recently, I changed the spark plugs, spark wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump strainer, PCV valve, oxygen sensor (only 1 on my car), oil filter, oil, transmission fluid replacement, air filter, timing belt, water pump, "3" other belts, battery, timing adjustment. I was hoping after all of that, the problem would be fix. Please don't get me wrong, I only changed these for preventative maintenance.
Old 01-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EXCivic759 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Slow acceleration between gears

Your transmission is slipping and rebuilding the transmission is your best choice to fix this; there is a vacuum inside Auto transmissions that allows the gears to change from one to the other, when the ECU tells it to. As soon as the vacuum stops holding pressure like its designed to do it will start "slipping" and will have the problem that you are asking about. Tip: Get a pro to rebuild it, specialty parts that will be needed extra $ plus experience with Honda Trans. helps to get it done quicker
Old 08-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holdon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Slow acceleration between gears

thats why it is called a honda. hold on not done accelerating. ha ha