Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

D16Y7 Random Stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry D16Y7 Random Stuttering

I have a 1998 LX auto with 223k. For the last about 3 weeks, I've been having this issue with the RPMs sharply dipping for half a second randomly. When this happens at a stop during idle, it stalls the car. From there, it's very hard to get it to start without killing the battery -- it cranks and cranks and gets nowhere. Then I have to jump the car and it usually starts up fine after it sits for about 10 or more minutes.

This has been getting worse lately. I used to be able to just rev the engine up to 1500 or so at a stop, and if a stutter came, it wouldn't kill the car - it'd just drop to around 750 for half a second then come back. Now, this is happening a little more dramatically, with drops of 1,000 rpm, and much more frequently. It happens when I am driving normally too, but it hasn't stalled while moving yet. I can hear, specifically when I'm a little bit hard on the throttle, the stutter happen sometimes twice within a few seconds.

This has left me stranded with a dead battery 4 times now. Some people I talk to suggest the fuel pump, while others suggest a vacuum leak or IACV clog. Before I go throwing parts at this car, what is the most likely cause of this issue?

Recently done (last 2 months):
Oil Change with Rotella 10W30 incl. filter
2 bottles of Seafoam (1/2 in gas, 1/2 in crankcase, 1 bottle down the throat)
NGK Plugs and a set of wires

It has 223k and I don't drive it hard. I'm easy on the throttle for the most part, and I'm up to date with all maintenance. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D16Y7 Random Stuttering

Figure what is missing while it won't start: Fuel, or spark
Old 05-10-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Figure what is missing while it won't start: Fuel, or spark

OP: One way to check fuel pump is to with engine cold, disconnect distributor harness (disable spark, eliminate fire hazard), loosen fuel filter banjo bolt, crank engine and watch for gas to spray out. This doesn't determine /read pressure but does show if fuel pump is pushing fuel towards fuel rail. Better yet is to additionally perfom a fuel pressure test with a fuel pressure gauge to see if psi is in spec.

Other (or additional) option is to (distributor harness disconnected) remove fuel injectors and spray into a bucket while cranking engine. This shows if fuel is reaching inectors/cylinder.. watch for spray pattern, amount and timing of spray.

Fuel pumps generally (but not always) weaken first (under spec psi) and become intermittent before failing completely. The nect time is has trouble starting you can try tapping on the top of the fuel pump (located under back seat) with hammer handle and see if it helps start the engine. If it does it's another sign fuel pump may be the issue.

Failing? intermittent coil and ICM (igniter) may be the issue. Here's how to test: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda...system-tests-1

Check/Clean all chassis and engine grounds.

Other free or inexpensive things to do that may help or part of maintenence:
Remove and clean IACV
Remove and clean throttle body
Bleed air out of engine coolant
Reset ECU (do last).
Old 05-11-2017
Registered!!

Just died again. This time while being jump started, I sprayed some gas down the throat while cranking it over to no avail. This leads me to believe that it's just simply not firing whenever it wants.

The strange thing is the car will never die in park because I've had it idling for hours before and it never once stuttered or stalled. When I put it in gear however, it's bound to happen soon. This is weird because I just changed the plugs and wires, and a cap+rotor wouldn't cause this weird random half-second stalling, would it? After the jump, I stopped at a red light and double footed it to 2,000 and yet it "stalled" for a second but began firing again. I didn't have to crank the starter, it just dropped from 2k to way under 500.

Although I haven't looked at the injectors, and I will, I would imagine clogged injectors would perform better after the seafoam treatments, no? Thanks for the advice, I'll try some stuff later today.
Old 05-11-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Eagle
Just died again. This time while being jump started, I sprayed some gas down the throat while cranking it over to no avail. This leads me to believe that it's just simply not firing whenever it wants.

The strange thing is the car will never die in park because I've had it idling for hours before and it never once stuttered or stalled. When I put it in gear however, it's bound to happen soon. This is weird because I just changed the plugs and wires, and a cap+rotor wouldn't cause this weird random half-second stalling, would it? After the jump, I stopped at a red light and double footed it to 2,000 and yet it "stalled" for a second but began firing again. I didn't have to crank the starter, it just dropped from 2k to way under 500.

Although I haven't looked at the injectors, and I will, I would imagine clogged injectors would perform better after the seafoam treatments, no? Thanks for the advice, I'll try some stuff later today.
Recheck spark plug firing order. A what mileage was the timing belt replaced? Timing belt may have jumped/skipped teeth..check mechanical timing. Which brand of plugs, wires, cap? Did you checky the spark plug gap?
Old 05-11-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Recheck spark plug firing order. A what mileage was the timing belt replaced? Timing belt may have jumped/skipped teeth..check mechanical timing. Which brand of plugs, wires, cap? Did you checky the spark plug gap?
Plugs: NGK Iridium (iirc) gapped at .044
Wires: Autolite (cheapo I know) "Professional Series"
Cap: Duralast "Gold" (?)

Timing belt I'm not sure of, but I will contact the previous owner and ask him. He should know because he got halfway through a project with this car by tinting the headlights black (had to replace them because they look like ****), cutting the exhaust off past the catalyst with a sawzall (which I also patched with flex pipe and a Harley motorcycle muffler) and he had a half-assed wiring job for his half-*** speaker Setup.
Old 05-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Loss of spark, you have it nailed down to a fairly predictable pattern........and it's becoming more frequent?

Assuming no fault codes?
My guess is a failing ICM (ignition control module) inside the distributor.
Old 05-20-2017
Registered!!

SOLVED - D16Y7 Random Stuttering

Turns out it wasn't getting spark after all. This issue was intermittent, so I figured a bad connections somewhere.

Plugs were removed and the gap was checked and corrected. Plug wires were pulled out of the boot and kind of jammed onto the plugs, followed by putting the boot on last. A spark test was conducted by using remote start to crank it over while holding a screwdriver near the plug wire end and touching the valve cover. No spark.

Distributor was then disassembled to find that the ignition coil was heavily corroded and very loose. The coil was replaced. The rotor itself looked a little bit grimey, as well as the points on the cap. Cap and rotor were replaced as well.

Now the car cranks over and starts with only 2 rotations and doesn't have this issue anymore.
Old 05-21-2017

Re: SOLVED - D16Y7 Random Stuttering

Now the car cranks over and starts with only 2 rotations and doesn't have this issue anymore.