Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1999 Civic automatic shifter sticky

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skramer is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 Civic automatic shifter sticky

hello,
My daughter's 1999 civic automatic is getting difficult to slip into gear. It goes in, but it isn't smooth and you kind of have to really watch the dashboard to make sure that you're in gear. I'm not talking about tranny issues...it is only the shifter ****. Once in gear, this car runs great and shifts between gears as it should. Is there some kind of linkage that I can repair?
Old 05-22-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 1999 Civic automatic shifter sticky

Anything spilled into the shifter?
Can you hear the solenoid click with you step on the brake pedal?
Have you tried using the shift interlock override to see if its any better? Up near the 'P' on the shifter there's a little black plastic square cover. Pop it off with a small flat head, and use that same flat head to press straight down through the hole. You can change gears with out pressing the brake pedal. Make sure you're on a level surface and keep the parking brake on for good measure.

Is it all gears or just in and out of park?
I replaced the cable on my girlfriend's car because you had to use both hands and really force it to get the car in and out of park. $20 at a junkyard.