Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

check engine codes HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ivanhatch is an unknown quantity at this point
check engine codes HELP PLEASE

hi i have a 92 honda civic hatchback..the car has the check engine light on i saw a video on youtube on how to jump it to get the codes for the check engine to see whats wrong with it i dont know how the codes at all? i dont know when to count them or when to stop counting them?i uploded a video on youtube on the check engine light if anybody can please help me? www.youtube.com/dianeyivan123011 please & thank you
Old 10-15-2012
Registered!!

kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: check engine codes HELP PLEASE

Code 0 ECU ECU bad, or ECU fuse blown Check ECU Fuse, Check Eeprom is in socket correctly and not loose

Code 1 Oxygen Sensor Loose Wiring, Bad Sensor If getting tuning done, don’t worry about this code its not vital and will be disabled

Code 3 and 5 Map Sensor Wiring, Bad Sensor Make sure sensor is plugged in and wiring is correct

Code 4 CKP (crankshaft position sensor) Loose Wiring Check that distributor plugs are connected and wiring is not loose

Code 6 Coolant Temperature Loose Wiring, Bad Sensor Check that plug is connected and wiring is not loose

Code 7 TPS (throttle position sensor) Loose Wiring, Bad Sensor Make sure sensor is plugged in and wiring is correct

Code 8 TDC Position (Top Dead Center) Loose Wiring Check that distributor plugs are connected and wiring is not loose

Code 9 No.1 Cylinder Position (CYP) Loose Wiring Check that distributor plugs are connected and wiring is not loose

Code 10 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Incorrect harness plug, Bad Sensor Check that correct sensor plug is connected, Replace Sensor

Code 12 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Incorrect harness plug, Bad Sensor If getting tuning done, don’t worry about this code its not vital and will be disabled

Code 13 Barometric Pressure Bad Sensor If getting tuning done, don’t worry about this code its not vital and will be disabled

Code 14 Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Incorrect harness plug, Bad Sensor Check that correct sensor plug is connected, Replace Sensor

Code 15 Ignition Output Signal Loose Wiring, Bad Sensor Check wiring, most likely wiring will be the issue

Code 16 Fuel Injector Loose Wiring Check wiring, most likely wiring will be the issue

Code 17 Vehicle Speed Sensor Loose Wiring, Bad Sensor Check that plug is connected and wiring is not loose

Code 19 Lock-up Control Solenoid Loose Wiring, Bad Sensor If getting tuning done, don’t worry about this code its not vital and will be disabled

Code 20 Electronic Load Detector (ELD) Loose Wiring, Bad Sensor If getting tuning done, don’t worry about this code its not vital and will be disabled

Code 21 Vtec Solenoid Loose Wiring, Bad Sensor This is common, make wire is ran to correct ecu pin location (pin D14)

Code 22 Vtec Pressure Switch Loose Wiring, No oil pressure If getting tuning done, don’t worry about this code its not vital and will be disabled

Code 23 Knock Sensor Loose Wiring, Bad Sensor If getting tuning done, don’t worry about this code its not vital and will be disabled

Code 41 and 48 Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Loose Wiring, Bad Sensor If getting tuning done, don’t worry about this code its not vital and will be disabled

Code 43 Fuel System Supply Low fuel pressure, vacuum leaks Make sure fuel pressure is adequate at idle (40-50psi base), check for vacuum leaks
Old 10-15-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Long blink is a 10's digit, short blink is a 1's digit.

I read as

10- IAT sensor circuit (intake air temperature)
21-VTEC solenoid valve circuit
22-VTEC pressure switch circuit
41-HO2S heater circuit

Usually write all these down, then clear the codes and see what returns. Many of these could have been set by someone disconnecting wires with the key turned on, so I'd erase and chase whatever code(s) comes back.
HTH
Old 10-16-2012
Registered!!

thank you , & how do i erase the codes?sorry im new to this?
Old 10-16-2012
Registered!!

i need help to pass emissions?

so i took my 92 civic to emissions test also and it didnt pass .on the paper it says it failed the Evaporative System? it failed the Hydrocarbons & Carbon Monoxide? on the Hydrocarbons my car got 1.16 and its suppose to get no higher then 1.00 & on the Carbon Monoxide i got 14.78 & i couldnt get any higher then 12.00? what may be the reason i failed?thank you
Old 10-16-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to erase codes.

Don't bother going for an emissions test until codes are fixed.
"Erased" is not the same as "fixed".

Evaporative problems will probably need to be diagnosed in person (a reputable shop)

HTH
Old 10-16-2012
Registered!!

okay thank you
Old 10-16-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to erase codes.

Don't bother going for an emissions test until codes are fixed.
"Erased" is not the same as "fixed".

Evaporative problems will probably need to be diagnosed in person (a reputable shop)

HTH
so i just reconnected my battery and i got the codes 10,22,&41 the 21 code didnt show up anymore? what is it that i need to do to fix this problmes/issues?are they an easy fix or do i need to take it to the shop?
Old 10-16-2012
Registered!!

nvm i counted wrong i still got the same codes 10,21,22,41
Old 10-16-2012

are they an easy fix or do i need to take it to the shop?
I have no idea if you are capable or not.
I do it for a living, so every bit of it is DIY to me.

Each code is an individual problem as far as the ECM can see. Each one needs checked out per service manual directions.

I'd be checking each component with a DVOM to see if good or bad, (same for checking actual operation of each-- if necessary), checking all wiring for each component.........

.....and maybe looking for any common area that might affect all at the same time: checking for wiring damage at the set of 3 connectors in front of the battery, mounted to the strut tower. All of the coded items have wires that run through the same connector (the top one if they are still in the right places) and rodents LOVE to chew on wires.
Old 10-16-2012
Registered!!

oh okay well for an estimate on price how much do you think will it be? and do you know of any shops in phx,az
Old 10-16-2012
Registered!!

i also found 2 lose wires/connectors behind the air intake at the back of the motor?do you know what they are or where do they go connected to??
theres the picture of the first one it is connected right behind the intake but idk where it goes connected to? the second picture is under the intake ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121016_115232.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	84188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121016_114830.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	84189  
Old 10-16-2012

The 1st pic, the circle on the right is the TPS. Can't tell if you are holding the connector for that item or not.

2nd pic: The pic of the connector alone tells me nothing. I would need to find out the wire colors and match them up in a wiring diagram to some component.

Prices? No freekin way I can tell you from here.
That's like asking "How long is a stick?"

I'll say ALL of your money. If it comes out to be less than that, be happy.

I am about 2000 miles away from you. Do you really think I know anyone near you?

Wait, I probably do. I know of a few people somewhere around Phoenix that frequent a professional forum I am a member of, but I'm not at liberty to give out their information without their approval.

I'd bet that none would be cheap.

http://autorepair.iatn.net/