Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

B Series LS Tranny Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
panic989 is an unknown quantity at this point
B Series LS Tranny Problems

I'm new to this forum and would like to start of by saying that I am car literate but this problem is beyond me.

Driving back to my cousins house one night I pull up to a stop light with no problems prior to that. When the light turns green I go to put it into gear and attempt to take off and nothing. It was the strangest problem. There was no grinding at the light, there was honestly no noise at all coming from the tranny. I ended up pulling the engine/tranny out, and pulling the casing off the tranny to find out that there is no problems internally. The clutch from the day i bought the car was always a little odd to me and a few other people that drove my car but from what I could gather is it was normal for a hydro clutch. The stroke from the top of the clutch to the floor was an inch and a half to two inches max. I haven't had a chance to look at the clutch yet but i have narrowed it down to the clutch or the master cylinder. If anyone has any other questions please feel free to ask and I would really appreciate any help that someone could give me.

I miss my hatch. :-( any help is appreciated.
Old 10-16-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B Series LS Tranny Problems

put it into gear and attempt to take off and nothing
What did the speedo do right then?

The stroke from the top of the clutch to the floor was an inch and a half to two inches max.
So it was fully engaged at like 3 inches off of the floor? Could be a pushrod/pedal link problem, or maybe air trapped in a line, bad disc or PP, or something like that....it would need some checking though.

The pedal on these usually comes up unusually high right at the very end of the clutches life.

I ended up pulling the engine/tranny out, and pulling the casing off the tranny to find out that there is no problems internally.
You heard hoofbeats, and you went looking for a damn Zebra.

You went to ALL this trouble, but
I haven't had a chance to look at the clutch yet
It's only 6 more bolts.
Old 10-17-2012
Registered!!

New to the whole forum thing so I'm not entirely sure how to quote but we will save that for another time.

The speedo did nothing. It is an electronic speedo though.

The clutch was fully engaged 2 inches, not 3, from the floor, but it never came up super high like you said it should nea the end of its life. It is a stage 3 clutch if that makes any difference. I'm not sure what make or anything like that just thats its a stage 3 racing clutch.

Zebra comment... AWESOME!! but essentially yes, yes I did.

I know. I should have just taken it off when the tranny came off.
Old 10-17-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by panic989
New to the whole forum thing so I'm not entirely sure how to quote but we will save that for another time.
You hit the "quote" button at the bottom of a panel, it will transfer the entire post into the reply box.

And play around with the buttons at the top of the reply box. Hover your pointer on each icon.

The speedo did nothing. It is an electronic speedo though.
Ok, so it didn't have the trans turning anything. I was thinking if it popped an axle, the speedo would have showed some speed.

Anyhooooooo....

The clutch was fully engaged 2 inches, not 3, from the floor, but it never came up super high like you said it should nea the end of its life. It is a stage 3 clutch if that makes any difference. I'm not sure what make or anything like that just thats its a stage 3 racing clutch.
Ok, didn't know it wasn't a stock unit.

Zebra comment... AWESOME!! but essentially yes, yes I did.
That was mild. I'm a real smartazz sometimes.
I know. I should have just taken it off when the tranny came off.
So....Trans guts weren't turning, trans is ok internally..........

That leaves the clutch. Got the clutch checked yet? Did it break out the center or something? Strip the splines?
Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by ezone
You hit the "quote" button at the bottom of a panel, it will transfer the entire post into the reply box.

And play around with the buttons at the top of the reply box. Hover your pointer on each icon.
I hope this works. lol

Ok, so it didn't have the trans turning anything. I was thinking if it popped an axle, the speedo would have showed some speed.

Anyhooooooo....
No axles were good. Even had a little trouble popping them out when the motor came out.

Ok, didn't know it wasn't a stock unit.
Yeah. Sorry about that. Probably should have mentioned it in the first post.

That was mild. I'm a real smartazz sometimes.
It happens.

So....Trans guts weren't turning, trans is ok internally..........

That leaves the clutch. Got the clutch checked yet? Did it break out the center or something? Strip the splines?
Yes the trans internals are good. When i got the casing off I spun the smallest gear at the top and it spun everything all the way down to the big gear and vice versa. When I drained the tranny there were no metal shavings or anything like that in it and I didnt see any metal shavings or broken, cracked, or chipped tooth gears when i pulled the case off.

I havent gotten the clutch checked yet. The car is at my cousins house probably 45 minutes away and i havent had the cahnce to get up there yet.