Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 civic starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EJ1_94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 94 civic starting problem

well, just like the other threads here, im having some issues starting my car. i tried most of the things mentioned in other threads but none of em works, probly its somethign different.
anyway, ive drove it few days before it had no problem starting but now this morning it doesnt start. keys turned in the ignition (but not all the way) and no lights coming from the dashboard, no clicking, no nothing. pretty much dead. tried jump starting it and it kinda clicks and hear the engine trying to start but its like, not getting enough juice to get it started. any info would help. thx
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

Largen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 94 civic starting problem

I hate to say this, but did you check your fuses?
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

yes i did, everything seems to be fine with the fuses. now, when i put the key in ignition, the lights flashes when i turn the key.
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

and also, if my doors open i hear the beeping noise indicating my keys are still in the ignition, but when i try turning the lights on it goes away. i dont think it would be the battery as seeing that its brand new...
i got it back to the point where i could hear a "rapid clicking" sound for a bit, then it goes away afterwards, and having the lights turned on.

Last edited by EJ1_94; 10-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

When you try to turn it over, do the dash lights go out? If so it kinda sounds like it could be a bad ground or something on your starter, creating too much resistance...
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

sometimes it doesnt even turn on, when i turn it, its dead silence, no lights, no click...but i see the heater lights flick everytime i have it all the way turned over though.
Old 10-12-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by EJ1_94
i dont think it would be the battery as seeing that its brand new...

Did this start happening right after replacing the battery? Were you driving around on a dead battery for a period of time?

It sounds like you might have a bad connection at the battery. Are the terminals clean and corrosion free? Are the wires tight on the terminals?

If you did happen to drive around with a dead battery for some period of time then there's a good possibility your alternator is toast. Alternators are only meant to top up a charge not run electrical systems in your car. Basically the alternator burns out from trying to charge the battery all the time. If you drop a new battery in not realizing this then the battery dies right away since the alternator isn't working any more.
Old 10-12-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Did this start happening right after replacing the battery? Were you driving around on a dead battery for a period of time?

It sounds like you might have a bad connection at the battery. Are the terminals clean and corrosion free? Are the wires tight on the terminals?

If you did happen to drive around with a dead battery for some period of time then there's a good possibility your alternator is toast. Alternators are only meant to top up a charge not run electrical systems in your car. Basically the alternator burns out from trying to charge the battery all the time. If you drop a new battery in not realizing this then the battery dies right away since the alternator isn't working any more.
i bought the car used, and the guy told me it had a new starter and battery. after that i hadnt had much time to work on it and get it checked at a mechanic cuz of my work. ive drove it maybe 5-6 times actually, and maybe a few times it had a little problem getting it started like, the rapid clicking noise and such...but ended up running after giving it a few tries. ive cleaned and looked around the battery for anything that could be causing it but didnt see anything loose or whatnot.
Old 10-12-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Assuming your jump starting procedure was correct your dash lights should have come on strong when you turned the key. If they didn't then you have a bad electrical connection. Probably right at the battery.
Old 10-12-2012
Registered!!

It could be bad engine grounds as well... Maybe..
Old 10-12-2012
Registered!!

hmm..alright thanks for the input guys, ill get someone to take a look. hopefully it wont come to paying something expensive to fix it...*cross fingers*
Old 10-12-2012
The Boss ;D

94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EJ1_94
well, just like the other threads here, im having some issues starting my car. i tried most of the things mentioned in other threads but none of em works, probly its somethign different.
anyway, ive drove it few days before it had no problem starting but now this morning it doesnt start. keys turned in the ignition (but not all the way) and no lights coming from the dashboard, no clicking, no nothing. pretty much dead. tried jump starting it and it kinda clicks and hear the engine trying to start but its like, not getting enough juice to get it started. any info would help. thx
alright, so i read through this whole thread just fyi.

ok, if your keys wont turn all the way then it won't start no matter what. but you say you tried jump staring it and it kinda clicks? so it sounds like you managed to get your key to turn all the way i'm guessing.

if it's turning all the way and clicking, definitely a dead battery or ground problem. check the ground for the starter. i've had this problem before with my bros ex's cavalier.

you said that sometimes it will start after clicking a few times. sounds like a bad connection. take off the terminals and clean them inside and the terminals of the battery. also, if the dash lights are flashing like you said, bad ground is #1 idea i think.

after you check the ground, put a battery charger on low low a good while (about 4 hours or so) or jump start it, and just leave the key off and the other car running for like 20 mins. then try and start it. sometimes when they're really dead, it takes a loong time to charge enough to start. if you try and it clicks, let it sit another 20 mins.

you could get your battery tested before you start it and see what it's reading; then if you get it started, see what your alternator is putting out.

1. clean terminals and posts
2. check ground for starter, make sure it's tight and clean metal
3. charge the heck out of your battery or jump and leave connected with key off for a good while
4. cross your fingers
5. if all goes well, test your battery and alternator. hopefully just a ground problem though

best of luck man

Last edited by 94civicd16z6; 10-12-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2012
Registered!!

oh wow thanks for the write up! ill be defeinately doing this once i get some time to. a friend of mine thats a mechanic also said it could be something with bad wiring so i just hope that hes right.
Old 10-13-2012
Registered!!

Wiring/grounds all the same, so I would say with this many people agreeing he is probably right ha ha good luck!
Old 10-14-2012
You can't judge a man's cover ,by how many times he's been booked!

Reddog74q2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel electrical 94 civic

replaced fuel pump,main relay and fuel filter -have to wait for undermined time for fuel pump to come on to start car sometimes 30 seconds and sometimes 10 minutes --with key on just waiting any Ideas?
Old 10-19-2012
Registered!!

sry for the long reply. got it back to starting up again. got the alternator replaced, it was indeed toast. bought new battery also...now i just hope it wont do it anymore lol