Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 - No Crank (no start)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xylerium is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb 93 - No Crank (no start)

Car - 93 Civic USDM 5sp Man, 225k miles

Problem: Car will not turn over.
Symptoms: Clutch engaged, relays "click", solenoid does not fire and starter does not turn.

Diagnosis thus far:
Battery - fully charged. Attempted to start while jumped, no crank (same result).

Main relay - replaced (was having other related issues, may as well) Still, no crank (expected as it is not electrically involved in cranking the engine, unless the starter cut relay physically exists here?).

Starter - removed and tested. Starter/Solenoid function very well (better than expected!)

Clutch Interlock Switch - Verified Starter Cut relay works by turning ignition to "Start" without foot on clutch

Depressed clutch, hear relay "click"; do not hear the solenoid at all.

According to the wiring diagram, there doesn't appear to be anything downstream after the starter cut relay, except for the solenoid and starter (which work).

Anecdotally, this just started happening a few weeks ago. It appeared to begin with a slow crank, which I attributed to unusually cold weather. The car started perfectly on a warm day.

The following day, the car simply wouldn't start - although it sounded like the starter motor was either trying to turn a very heavy load or some other electric sound was occurring; difficult to say and cannot replicate.

Hypothesis: There is an open somewhere between either the 12V line going to the starter itself or the open is maintained to the solenoid despite turning the ignition (my primary suspicion given I don't hear the solenoid).

It is very clear how to test for 12V at the starter, but being a one man show, I'm guessing the only way to test the theory is to jump the 12V to the ignition switch connection on the solenoid. Any easy way to do this? That's a tight fit!

Next Steps:
1) Verify 12V @ Starter
2) Verify ??V @ Solenoid when buddy stops by this week
3) Go drink some beer.

And finally, anything I've missed? I've searched the forums for similar issues which led me to do the aforementioned steps.
Old 10-29-2011
Registered!!

kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 93 - No Crank (no start)

I had a similar problem with a jeep, i would bench test the starter at AUtozone but when i put it in the car it wouldn't work. Tried a different brand starter and worked.
Old 10-31-2011
Registered!!

tdbaker156 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 93 - No Crank (no start)

check your grounds. your battery ground, and two engine grounds. hondas require the grounds to be perfect or the car wont start. my ef did the same thing but came down to the starter being bad. try to take the starter out of the tranny have someone hold the starer while still connected to the terminals in the car and turn the key over and see if it engages outside of the engine. if it does try spinning the motor over by hand. if it doesnt you probably have a bad ground.