Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

wont always start

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
badbone6t8 is an unknown quantity at this point
wont always start

I have a 91 civic dx which runs good most of the time. The reason i say most of the time is because sometimes it doesnt like to start. You can tell it wants to start...but wont. I've checked the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark and it seems everything is ok. I had someone tell me that on those models the computer gets water/condensation in it from being under the seat...but last I checked there was no computer located there. If that could even be the case i would really appreciate some advice as to where it might be located or if this is really even the problem.
Old 12-12-2006
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
If the problem is happening every once in awhile I'd check all the connections like ur grounds, etc. 91 Civic might have some corrosion at some of the terminals and ground points. Also whens the last time you changed your starter?
Old 12-12-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
is it cranking? or what? More information about the no-start problem.

As nameless said, it could be the starter, check the battery, for at least 12V and do a load test (basically check waht the voltage is when the engine is running and is at least 9.6V), and check your starter voltage.

This could be many issues, please give more information so we can help! 8)
Old 12-13-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
how exactly did you check the pump, filter and for spark? what makes you think its good?
Old 12-13-2006
Registered!!

The engine cranks over with no problem...the starter was replaced 3 months ago, so no prob there. I checked the fuel filter by replacing it 2 weeks ago when the problem first occured...it never happened since then untill yesterday....(twice before changing filter though.) I couldnt do a proper pressure test of the fuel pump, but did have the gas line disconnected at throttle body and cranked engine. Fuel went everywhere telling me theres plenty of pressure. That should have been the point where I had a book of matches...lol I'm kinda new to this import thing....I'm a stang lover to be honest with you guys. I figured i would need a winter beater, and since everybody says how good of gas mileage and how long hondas run for i figured I'd jump on the wagon....I guess some guys swear by them, but right now I swear at them....lol...I guess the honda isnt so bad after all...I mean other than this I've had no other problems. Who knows.. I just might turn to the dark side after all and go get one for the summer!!
Old 12-13-2006
Registered!!

As for namelesses response... where on this years model would I find the connectors that might have corrosion on them? R they under the dash or hood? Would I have to check the on board computer(if so wheres it at) or should i play it safe and do all the plug in connections?
Old 12-13-2006
Registered!!

I just want to throw out a comment on this website. You guys r doing an excellent job with the tips and such. I doubt im the first nor will i be the last to say it either. Food for thought.......Whoever is running this site might want to consider adding a classified section for selling cars or parts or trade and swap section to help the other members out. Anyways keep up the good work!!
Old 12-13-2006
Registered!!

My bad....I guess i should have scrolled down a bit more and opened my eyes, maybe i would have seen it....its already there.....See they've thought of everything...lol
Old 12-13-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by badbone6t8
The engine cranks over with no problem...the starter was replaced 3 months ago, so no prob there. I checked the fuel filter by replacing it 2 weeks ago when the problem first occured...it never happened since then untill yesterday....(twice before changing filter though.) I couldnt do a proper pressure test of the fuel pump, but did have the gas line disconnected at throttle body and cranked engine. Fuel went everywhere telling me theres plenty of pressure. That should have been the point where I had a book of matches...lol I'm kinda new to this import thing....I'm a stang lover to be honest with you guys. I figured i would need a winter beater, and since everybody says how good of gas mileage and how long hondas run for i figured I'd jump on the wagon....I guess some guys swear by them, but right now I swear at them....lol...I guess the honda isnt so bad after all...I mean other than this I've had no other problems. Who knows.. I just might turn to the dark side after all and go get one for the summer!!
ok pulling the fuel line and seeing fuel come out doesnt mean you have pressure. you need pressure and volume to start. you may have plenty of volume, but if there is no pressure, you dont start. same with volume. lots of pressure but no volume you wont start.

you need to check it with a pressure gauge
Old 12-15-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
lol and dont just pull out your fuel line anyways, you need to relieve the pressure in the system. I knew a guy actually died from not doing that and gas went into his eye, then his blood stream..not fun at all