Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Help with first suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
packersfanEJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with first suspension setup

I'm looking to get some new suspension components for my EJ. I've got 245,000 miles on a stock suspension and it's showing. My ride quality sucks and I really need something new, but the thing is, I don't know what to look for. I don't race, so I don't need some crazy setup. I'd like to drop it some (I have 17s, so I can't drop it too much) but I'd like it to still have some decent ride quality and not rattle all the fillings from my teeth every time I go over a speedbump. Should I snag some struts and springs, like Tein High Techs and some Koni Yellows, or should I snag some entry-level coilovers, like FF Type 1s or Tein Street Basis?
Old 03-14-2013
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with first suspension setup

Personally, I would choose coilovers over spring/shock combo almost all the time. Having the height adjustability is worth it in my opinion. If in the future you get different wheels, with coilovers you can change your ride height to fit them better.

If you really want comfort, I'd say go with the Tein Basics. They are a great daily driveable setup. They aren't designed to ride super low, but that doesn't seem to be that much of an issue for you.

F&F Type 1s will be a stiffer, sportier ride, but still won't bounce you around. Its a pretty good balanced setup overall for comfort and sportiness. And because of the threaded shock design, you can slam the car to the ground, and not mess with the performance of the coilover.

Last edited by rustycivic; 03-31-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2013
Registered!!

packersfanEJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help with first suspension setup

Thanks for the help. I'm leaning towards the coilovers, the Tein Basics look really good. I'm probably not going to run my current wheel setup forever, as they've kissed a few curbs. I'm probably going to go with a smaller wheel next time, so the adjustable feature would get used. I learned today the stock ride height of a 98 Civic is 5.9" of ground clearance...I'm going to measure it up tomorrow because I'm sure my current suspension is sagging lol.