Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

suspension help request

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gunpilot64 is an unknown quantity at this point
suspension help request

Hey all,

I just joined the site after purchasing a 2000 Civic EX Coupe as a daily driver.
The car came with 18" wheels and a worn out suspension that bottomed out over every expansion joint and pothole in the road. I decided to replace the suspension (after reading a few posts, etc.) with Eibach Prokit Springs and Prokit Dampners because I didn't want to lower the car to the weeds. YES, I READ THE FAQ.

Getting the old suspension bits out was a trial because the bolts in the lower control arms in the rear were rusted to the steel sleeves in the bushings. I eventually had to use a Sawzall to get the control arms out and replaced them with Skunk2 Racing lower control arms, OEM bolts, strut mounts, etc. I followed the thread instructions to the letter in building my spring/strut assemblies. The front replacements went significantly better (thanks for the great guide!!!).

Prior to replacing the suspension, the car would dive significantly in turns and would bottom out over every single bump in the road. After the replacement, the car still scrapes (probably the 18" wheel/tire combo) around corners and I'm dealing with a new issue. There's a significant buckling sound coming from the rear shocks/springs over every bump. It almost sounds as if the assemblies aren't torqued down, but I ensured (using a torque wrench) to torque them down to factory specs.

Needless to say, I'm at a loss on this one. The springs are seated properly and everything has been torqued to factory specs. Before I run out and purchase a new wheel/tire package at significant expense, I'd like to know if there's possibly anything I might have missed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Tim
Old 02-06-2009
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: suspension help request

A few things
1) Check your bushings
2) Check to see if the springs are seated correctly on the shock
3) Add more rear camber. I think your wheels are too large and you are scraping too much.
Old 02-07-2009
Registered!!

gunpilot64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: suspension help request

Thanks for the input!

I was of the mind initially that I would have to replace the wheels/tires because they're a little big for the car. This confirmed it. I checked the springs and they're both seated properly, so next I'll be checking those bushings.

Thanks again!

-Tim