I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Obd 2 has power, no connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacyracing33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Obd 2 has power, no connection

96 ex service engine light is on, hooked my boush obd1/obd2 code reader up and says connection not found check connection. And every couple trys it'll make it through one test and quits on the second test. Anyone know how to fix this?
Old 05-24-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Obd 2 has power, no connection

Did that scanner used to work on the car?
Old 05-25-2018
Registered!!

Just bought the car about a month ago engine light was on when I bought it, so no it never hooked up to it until the other day.
Old 05-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Try a different code reader? Try your reader in another similar car?

Maybe the terminals in the OBD connector are loose (spread out or otherwise damaged)
Old 05-26-2018
Registered!!

Took my car to AutoZone and had they hook it up they had the same problem I did, would turn on but wouldn't complete the scan
Old 05-27-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

that's weird. for newer civics my computer usually lists a troubleshooting procedure for the DLC but it seems to be missing or non-existent for a '96

try it the old fashioned way?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	112247

Last edited by RobertD; 05-27-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-27-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Does the car not have the original stock engine?
Does the car not have the correct stock PCM?
Old 05-27-2018
Registered!!

Everything under the hood seems to be original, noting missing besides the exhaust manifold heat sheild (probably because the manifold is cracked, bought a header soon as I get time I'm putting it on), but it doesn' look molested at all and with only 136000 miles on the car I really don' think the motor or ecm would have been changed.
Old 05-27-2018

Verify engine code and verify PCM part number

And try getting blink codes using the SCS method
Old 06-09-2018
Registered!!

I looked at my obd2 plug and the pins look fine, someone asked me if my dome light worked which it doesnt I know they r on the same fuse under the hood. I put a new fuse in just for ***** and giggles and still nothing. Haven't had the time to do the old school paper clip trick yet
Old 06-16-2018
Registered!!

So this crossed my mind, when I bought my car it already had a aftermarket radio installed. I know 96 has the plug that connects to the radio for everything to work, could this possibly be the reason the obd2 port won't connect? Just a thought
Old 06-17-2018

If your scanner powers up when you plug it into the data link connector, then the radio install should have nothing to do with the 'no communication' problem.
EDIT: But it would depend on how badly the install was butchered. I've seen some things that would amaze just about anyone.

If the scanner didn't power up at all, then the radio probably wouldn't power up either, and fuses should be checked first.
Old 06-17-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

from what we have seen so far, your wiring seem to be "problematic".
parking, brake lights threads, i mean

it could simply be screwed up wiring.