Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

new guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dom559 is an unknown quantity at this point
new guy

Hey guys my names dominic from cali and im the proud new owner of a 1996 honda civic DX. With what iv been told is a engine swap from a 2000 acura LS. I got the car to use as a daily driver and commuter for a new job i recently got. Should of found something more stock but for $800 the whole inside was extremely clean and only 125k miles. Its got some issues but im not afraid of a wrench so if i need to find a donor and make it stock again i will.

So these are the issues im having with it, when i bought it we push started it because the ignition didnt work properly. The key turns and functions as it should all accessories come on etc. But when u crank it absolutely nothing happens just nothing. You can put the key in on position and jump the starter with no issues. For now i wired in a temporary push button to start it with ease. Id really like to fix this issue i tried switching out the cheap lock cylinder as the old key looked really worn and it stuck abit but it acts exactly the same.

Another concern i have is the exhaust seems to be all after market and the 02 sensors are just plugged. Should i be concerned? Im not concerned with emissions testing at this time just drivability and dependability.

issue number 3 would be ofcourse theres a cel because the 02 sensors how ever when i try to scan it neither my cheap scanner or my neighbors matco can communicate with the car?

and yet again another issue lol... It idles pretty spratically rmps are up down up down up down. It runs and drives great. Lots of power lots of speed but still can feel engine idling funny. I didnt find any vaccum leaks. theres a couple vacuum ***** plugged?

Theres also 3 plugs in engine bay i cant figure out where they. would go ill post pics of those 3 first thing in morning. Also will post any and all pics you guys need to help.

TIA!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: new guy

...sell it and buy a working car, lol.

No communication to ecu could point to an ECU problem, which could be causing a no start condition. Since it is a swapped engine, check to see what's going on with the ecu.

-right ecu for engine?
-right wiring harness for right ecu?
-check for hack job wiring.

Also do your basic checks
-battery voltage
-grounds to engine block, head and transmission
-fuses/relays.
-the cables to the starter.
Old 02-05-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dom559 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: new guy

Originally Posted by mac25
...sell it and buy a working car, lol.

No communication to ecu could point to an ECU problem, which could be causing a no start condition. Since it is a swapped engine, check to see what's going on with the ecu.

-right ecu for engine?
-right wiring harness for right ecu?
-check for hack job wiring.

Also do your basic checks
-battery voltage
-grounds to engine block, head and transmission
-fuses/relays.
-the cables to the starter.
all grounds seem to be good getting voltage to everything but the connector the plugs into the negative terminal on starter. As of now i have installed a push button to start.
I really dont wanna sell the car even if i put $1000 into it id still be way under what im able to find anything close to the condition its in. The inside is 9/10 and outside 7/10. I havent found a single civic from 91-01 in my area with under 250k miles and decent interior for less tha. $2500-3000... Theres tons of aftermarket on the car alone. If putting in a stock exhaust system would help i dont mind as i can source all the parts for less than 200..