Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How should I go about fixing this exaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MassDestruction is an unknown quantity at this point
How should I go about fixing this exaust leak

Hey Guys

The Problem and How The Problem was Found
Exhaust fumes stated coming into my 98 Honda civic cabin so I did an exhaust leak test using your standard soapy water and shop vac. I found I have two exhaust leaks. One coming from the gasket that mates with the exaust header and the head. Another from where the exaust header mates with the actual exaust. The majority of the leaking exaust comes from the where the exaust header mates with the exaust. I attached images below of exactly where the leaking exaust is coming from.

What have I done so far
So far the only thing I've done is tighten down the bolts, but dong that had no effect in fixing the issues

The Questions
Before I start doing anything, what do you guys recommend I do? For where the exhaust manifold mates with the head I assume all I would need to do is replace the gasket? For the where the exhaust manifold mates with the exaust I'm not sure what the best thing to do there would be. I mean should there be a gasket there? I don't see one lol. Sorry if these questions are noobish in nature. I'm new to fixing and modifying cars.

Name:  M83iBRi.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  2.37 MB

Name:  YhLf6gg.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  991.7 KB
Old 01-23-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: How should I go about fixing this exaust leak

try new gaskets, oem ones will probably seal better than the cheap ones, penetrating fluid is a good idea
Old 01-23-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yes get yourself some new gaskets. If the manifold is cracked it will need replacing. The bottom part looks like it will be a PITA taking off so it may need to be cut off and replaced.
Old 01-24-2019
Registered!!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll replace the gaskets this evening. I applied liquid wrench last night, and this morning which I hope will help with those pesky bolts.
Old 02-06-2019
Registered!!

Ok I installed new gaskets and the leak where the manifold meets with the head is fixed. Where the manifold meets with exaust still has a leak though. I tried 2 different types of gaskets for where the manifold meets with the exaust. A gasket thats 2 O Rings, and an after market one that's just one piece. I'm not sure where to go from here. What are your guys suggestions?
Old 02-06-2019
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You can try an OEM gasket or maybe a junkyard for a used manifold that is in better shape. Or a new aftermarket manifold.
Old 02-07-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Yes get yourself some new gaskets. If the manifold is cracked it will need replacing. The bottom part looks like it will be a PITA taking off so it may need to be cut off and replaced.
If I were to replace the manifold would this be an adequate replacement? Or should I get something else?
Exaust manifold replacement
Old 02-07-2019
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by MassDestruction
If I were to replace the manifold would this be an adequate replacement? Or should I get something else?
Exaust manifold replacement
I wouldn't expect much for the price but it is probably adequate. I have no personal experience with the cheaper headers but they are usually hit or miss in quality. For the price though it might be worth a shot.