Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   How should I go about fixing this exaust leak (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/375230-how-should-i-go-about-fixing-exaust-leak.html)

MassDestruction 01-23-2019 01:15 PM

How should I go about fixing this exaust leak

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys

The Problem and How The Problem was Found
Exhaust fumes stated coming into my 98 Honda civic cabin so I did an exhaust leak test using your standard soapy water and shop vac. I found I have two exhaust leaks. One coming from the gasket that mates with the exaust header and the head. Another from where the exaust header mates with the actual exaust. The majority of the leaking exaust comes from the where the exaust header mates with the exaust. I attached images below of exactly where the leaking exaust is coming from.

What have I done so far
So far the only thing I've done is tighten down the bolts, but dong that had no effect in fixing the issues

The Questions
Before I start doing anything, what do you guys recommend I do? For where the exhaust manifold mates with the head I assume all I would need to do is replace the gasket? For the where the exhaust manifold mates with the exaust I'm not sure what the best thing to do there would be. I mean should there be a gasket there? I don't see one lol. Sorry if these questions are noobish in nature. I'm new to fixing and modifying cars.

Attachment 113210

Attachment 113211

Colin42 01-23-2019 03:18 PM

Re: How should I go about fixing this exaust leak

try new gaskets, oem ones will probably seal better than the cheap ones, penetrating fluid is a good idea

GolNat 01-23-2019 05:00 PM

Yes get yourself some new gaskets. If the manifold is cracked it will need replacing. The bottom part looks like it will be a PITA taking off so it may need to be cut off and replaced.

MassDestruction 01-24-2019 06:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll replace the gaskets this evening. I applied liquid wrench last night, and this morning which I hope will help with those pesky bolts.

MassDestruction 02-06-2019 03:17 PM

Ok I installed new gaskets and the leak where the manifold meets with the head is fixed. Where the manifold meets with exaust still has a leak though. I tried 2 different types of gaskets for where the manifold meets with the exaust. A gasket thats 2 O Rings, and an after market one that's just one piece. I'm not sure where to go from here. What are your guys suggestions?

GolNat 02-06-2019 03:23 PM

You can try an OEM gasket or maybe a junkyard for a used manifold that is in better shape. Or a new aftermarket manifold.

MassDestruction 02-07-2019 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 4756920)
Yes get yourself some new gaskets. If the manifold is cracked it will need replacing. The bottom part looks like it will be a PITA taking off so it may need to be cut off and replaced.

If I were to replace the manifold would this be an adequate replacement? Or should I get something else?
Exaust manifold replacement

GolNat 02-07-2019 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by MassDestruction (Post 4758209)
If I were to replace the manifold would this be an adequate replacement? Or should I get something else?
Exaust manifold replacement

I wouldn't expect much for the price but it is probably adequate. I have no personal experience with the cheaper headers but they are usually hit or miss in quality. For the price though it might be worth a shot.