Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Civic EX troubles

Old 05-13-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02DemonCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic EX troubles

Alright guys I'm new here and would some input. I recently aquired an 02 civic ex coupe, 5 speed manual. The previous owner had done an engine swap from original motor to a D17a1. I'm guessing he left the original ecu in the car and the engine is in limp mode. What are my options as to getting this fixed? I'm currently able to drive but will only go 70 before hitting 4k and start to stall out. Check engine light is on but have yet to get the codes read until tomorrow morning. I was also told that it could be the ecu or it could be a solenoid. Let me know what to do.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,121 Likes on 936 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Civic EX troubles

put a vtec head back on, hopefully all the wiring is still there
Old 05-13-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Why someone would put a mechanical issue thread in the Member's rides section is really beyond me...

Thank you for searching before asking...
Old 05-13-2019
Registered!!

Hey man appreciate your negative feedback. I'm sorry the 300k plus forums on here are so easily found. Thanks for letting me know how to fix my engine problem.
Old 05-13-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

do you throw your used socks on the top of your dinner table?
That's kind of how we feel when someone posts in a completely wrong section of the forums...

Obviously, that showed how much you did look for answer before going straight to asking... One that is not willing to even search for the answer is not likely to complete the job either... better off sending to a shop to fix it...

look into the SOHC vtec-non-vtec section, most of your answers are there already.
Old 05-13-2019
Registered!!

Holy **** was it that hard to post the first time around, use some common sense before you start spewing out some ignorant ****. Obviously you didn't read the intro to the statement as to me being new and yes I did search before I posted. Majority of all the other civic ex's are different so to narrow it down it should have been updated to a completely different section with all the info in one place. Now if you don't like what I have to say you can go somewhere else and be a snowflake on someone else's post. Thanks again and have a nice day.
Old 05-13-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

internet tip:

Don't get into a fight with one of the administrators of the forum... at the least, don't do it for silly reasons.

PS: hold your language. It is a reason for banning.

Warning this time.
Old 05-13-2019
Registered!!

So let me get this staright, administration gets every right to be an *** hole or douche bag to anyone they want to without consequences but when someone defends themselves, yall get upset about it. I'm not starting a fight I'm simply saying it how it should have been. Think before you say something. I'm not ***** like everyone else that you wanna treat like ****. I will speak my 2 cents. So sorry for my actions and thank you for the info on where I could find the location of where my problem is.
Old 05-14-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

language again.
strike two.
Old 05-14-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,121 Likes on 936 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I already answered your question, calm down
Old 05-22-2019
Registered!!

Ryan Huncho is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

So it seems kinda obvious what your problem is...
More than likely, the ecu is the culprit. You have a D17A1, non-vtec head, with a D17A2 vtec ecu.
Like the previous post said, hopefully the previous owner/installer didn't hack up the original wiring harness. You'll want a d17a2 head put on or a d17a1 ecu. The main problem may have to do with the ecu not sensing a vtec solenoid. It engages with oil pressure/throttle response/coolant temp/etc. ; a lot of factors go in to the D17A2's vtec system. If the inexistent solenoid isn't sensing a certain oil pressure given that all the other requirements are met, it's gonna go into limp mode. This is just me guessing though, I'm not 100% sure. I go low on oil pressure when cornering hard all the time b/c I burn oil and don't have oil pan baffles, and my car will instantly throw a light and go into limp mode (wont rev past 3-3.5k).

Hopefully some of that helped.