Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Throttle cuts out, no CEL light

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
razordx is an unknown quantity at this point
Throttle cuts out, no CEL light

Hey guys.
I have 96 Civic DX Hatch that has been great to me... up until now.
I'm having an issue where the engine will cut out once it goes beyond 2000RPM. Idle and up to 2000rpms everything is normal, but beyond that (with the throttle held steady) the rpms will drop to 1000, go back to wherever the throttle is, drop to 1000rpm, and on and on.

There is no CEL light on now, however there was a code for oxygen sensor (replaced, code gone) and a code for throttle position sensor being below/above the min/max values (replaced, calibrated properly, code gone).

I thought I had finally fixed it with the O2 sensor replacement, but once the engine warmed up the problem re-emerged. Disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, let car idle for 10 minutes, still have the same issue.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?
Old 02-01-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Throttle cuts out, no CEL light

Was the TPS OEM or aftermarket?

Old 02-01-2019
Jp7
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jp7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a higher RPM intermittent miss that was caused by oil that leaked its way pass the donut seals where the spark plugs go. Mine was 3000+ but as your RPM increases it raises cylinder pressure making it harder for the spark to jump the gap. If you have anything that is a "way out" for the spark to escape the plug wires (or anywhere on the secondary side) it will take that path rather than through the spark plug gap.
Old 02-01-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
razordx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mac25
Was the TPS OEM or aftermarket?
Aftermarket, it was the only one the local Advance Auto had in stock. After installation everything read as it should with a voltmeter.

Originally Posted by Jp7
I had a higher RPM intermittent miss that was caused by oil that leaked its way pass the donut seals where the spark plugs go. Mine was 3000+ but as your RPM increases it raises cylinder pressure making it harder for the spark to jump the gap. If you have anything that is a "way out" for the spark to escape the plug wires (or anywhere on the secondary side) it will take that path rather than through the spark plug gap.
I haven't pulled the plugs yet to check, will do that in the morning and report what I find. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by razordx
Aftermarket, it was the only one the local Advance Auto had in stock. After installation everything read as it should with a voltmeter.
A junkyard OEM one is probably better than an aftermarket one fyi
Old 02-02-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by razordx
After installation everything read as it should with a voltmeter.
What value or spec did you set it to?
I would adjust the TPS so its voltage output is exactly 0.49 Volts @ closed throttle