Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Throttle cuts out, no CEL light (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/375309-throttle-cuts-out-no-cel-light.html)

razordx 01-31-2019 03:20 PM

Throttle cuts out, no CEL light

Hey guys.
I have 96 Civic DX Hatch that has been great to me... up until now.
I'm having an issue where the engine will cut out once it goes beyond 2000RPM. Idle and up to 2000rpms everything is normal, but beyond that (with the throttle held steady) the rpms will drop to 1000, go back to wherever the throttle is, drop to 1000rpm, and on and on.

There is no CEL light on now, however there was a code for oxygen sensor (replaced, code gone) and a code for throttle position sensor being below/above the min/max values (replaced, calibrated properly, code gone).

I thought I had finally fixed it with the O2 sensor replacement, but once the engine warmed up the problem re-emerged. Disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, let car idle for 10 minutes, still have the same issue.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

mac25 02-01-2019 12:58 PM

Re: Throttle cuts out, no CEL light

Was the TPS OEM or aftermarket?

Jp7 02-01-2019 04:42 PM

I had a higher RPM intermittent miss that was caused by oil that leaked its way pass the donut seals where the spark plugs go. Mine was 3000+ but as your RPM increases it raises cylinder pressure making it harder for the spark to jump the gap. If you have anything that is a "way out" for the spark to escape the plug wires (or anywhere on the secondary side) it will take that path rather than through the spark plug gap.

razordx 02-01-2019 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by mac25 (Post 4758040)
Was the TPS OEM or aftermarket?

Aftermarket, it was the only one the local Advance Auto had in stock. After installation everything read as it should with a voltmeter.

Originally Posted by Jp7 (Post 4758048)
I had a higher RPM intermittent miss that was caused by oil that leaked its way pass the donut seals where the spark plugs go. Mine was 3000+ but as your RPM increases it raises cylinder pressure making it harder for the spark to jump the gap. If you have anything that is a "way out" for the spark to escape the plug wires (or anywhere on the secondary side) it will take that path rather than through the spark plug gap.

I haven't pulled the plugs yet to check, will do that in the morning and report what I find. Thanks!

Colin42 02-01-2019 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by razordx (Post 4758052)
Aftermarket, it was the only one the local Advance Auto had in stock. After installation everything read as it should with a voltmeter.

A junkyard OEM one is probably better than an aftermarket one fyi

ezone 02-02-2019 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by razordx (Post 4758052)
After installation everything read as it should with a voltmeter.

What value or spec did you set it to?
I would adjust the TPS so its voltage output is exactly 0.49 Volts @ closed throttle