Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 honda civic, starting issues, runs fine once started

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jsan101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 97 honda civic, starting issues, runs fine once started

hey all,

ive posted this to different forums and i cant seem to find what the cause of the problem is. i have a 97 honda civic ex, 187k miles. since about july, the car has been starting abnormally. i took it to my local mechanic who i trust, and got the starter replaced. it was good for about a day or two, but the issue began again. the starter will either make a grinding noise with the flywheel, or it sounds like the engine just isnt cranking normally. i dont really know how to explain it, whether the engine is just starting without the starter properly engaging, or its just stuttering when starting.

once the car is on, its golden. but it'll happen again if i turn it off and turn it back on. it wasnt as frequent before, but with the weather getting colder, i fear itll get worse. here are 3 videos of the issue.
Old 10-21-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 97 honda civic, starting issues, runs fine once started

Has the battery been tested or replaced recently?
Check all grounds for loose connections
Sounds like the starter is dragging a bit and may be related to the above mentioned.
Flywheel may be damaged? Could get it on a lift and inspect the flywheel teeth while the car is in neutral.
Old 10-21-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

A damaged flywheel could definitely be the cause. I would check battery and all connections first. Even the ones at the starter could be loose.
Old 10-22-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by HR Puffinblunts
Has the battery been tested or replaced recently?
Check all grounds for loose connections
Sounds like the starter is dragging a bit and may be related to the above mentioned.
Flywheel may be damaged? Could get it on a lift and inspect the flywheel teeth while the car is in neutral.
the battery was tested and it was fine. I had the alternator replaced in July. when they replaced the starter, they inspected the flywheel and said it was fine. maybe it should get looked at again.
Old 10-22-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
A damaged flywheel could definitely be the cause. I would check battery and all connections first. Even the ones at the starter could be loose.
I will check the connections near the battery and starter.
Old 10-22-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jsan101
I will check the connections near the battery and starter.
Check all grounds connections to chassis and engine as well. If rusted then remove and clean the terminal and/or chassis with a brass wire brush.