Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

starter motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
goofy gorilla is an unknown quantity at this point
starter motor

hi - got a honda civic 2004 1.7ctdi hatchback, been driving fine all day, parked outside my parents house, went back to car afew hours later but wouldnt turn over or anything, all dash lights on, battery is good, headlights nice and bright. So i decided to jump start it, rolled it down a hill and it started up, parked up again and same issue..so im guessing its the starter motor anyway a few questions

1. is it worth reconditioning for around £80
2. best to buy a new one from eurocarparts.
3. where is the starter motor located ?..ive looked in the engine bay cant see it, im assuming its undernaeth the car, cant be that hard to fit a second hand one from ebay or breakers yard but wouldnt know how long that would last ?

what you guys think is worth doing?
cheers
Old 08-20-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: starter motor

Originally Posted by goofy gorilla
hi - got a honda civic 2004 1.7ctdi hatchback, been driving fine all day, parked outside my parents house, went back to car afew hours later but wouldnt turn over or anything, all dash lights on, battery is good, headlights nice and bright. So i decided to jump start it, rolled it down a hill and it started up, parked up again and same issue..so im guessing its the starter motor anyway a few questions

1. is it worth reconditioning for around £80
2. best to buy a new one from eurocarparts.
3. where is the starter motor located ?..ive looked in the engine bay cant see it, im assuming its undernaeth the car, cant be that hard to fit a second hand one from ebay or breakers yard but wouldnt know how long that would last ?

what you guys think is worth doing?
cheers
I live in the U.S. and can't comment on sourcing European parts.
First off check for loose cable terminals on the battery posts by lifting and twisting on both negative and positive one at a time. You shouldnt be aable to lift or twist the terminal off and if does then tighten properly.

To find the starter ..start at the positive cable terminal on the battery and follow it to the engine. You'll need to remove the air box and air intake hose to get good access to the starter as shown in pic below. When you find the starter make sure those connections are secure as well on the starter's solenoid.

Try tapping on the starter with a tire iron or hammer handle and have someone start the engine. If it start's then the starter's contacts are worn and the starter or at minumum the solenoid will need to be replaced.

Get your battery tested to see if it's putting out enough amps and volts to engage the starter properly. If the battery is good then you can test the starter by directly jumpering it with battery cables to the starter.

Inspect starter relays and fuses. The video below is not a Honda but gives good tips for diagnsoing any starter related issues
If you end up removing the starter have it checked at a local parts store.

Old 08-20-2017
Registered!!

thanks mate - some good tips and good video

my battery is fine i replaced it about a year ago good voltage 12.6v measured with meter.
relays are working fine i can feel the click when i put my finger on it .
connections all seem good and tight with no corrosion.
the immobilser is fine too because i can jump start the car when i push it down a hill. done that twice today. good job i live on a hilly road.
ill take it to a speacilist tommorow so he can check it out. might get itreconditioned.
will post back. ta
havnt tried the hammer test as i cant see the starter.
Old 08-20-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by goofy gorilla
havnt tried the hammer test as i cant see the starter.
If it's a manual trasmission the clutch safety switch at the top of the clutch pedal might be knackered. Look on the driverside floorboard for a black or white piece that's looks like the one in this thread: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...witch-2918837/

The clutch safety switch can be jumperd with a small wire or paper-clip to test or permanently bypass if you want. When bypassed you can start the engine in Neutral without the clutch pressed in.

FWIW: jump start in U.S. terminology means to hook up battery cables (jumpers).
When pushing the car in neatral and then popping the clutch to start we call it: push-start or ghetto gliding..lol

Last edited by Wankenstein; 08-20-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2017
Registered!!

i dont think my car has a clutch safty switch , it can start with gear in neutral or even when in gear with the clutch pressed. i meant push start lol..when i sit in the drivers seat and let the car roll down the hill..i then put it in second gear and when i have enough momentum...i let the clucth out and the car starts...ill get it checked out tomorow
Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

just an update - it was the starter motor, took it to a local bloke who reconditions starter motor...replaced the starter motor and gave me a lifetime gaurantee as long as i own the vehicle...cost £80