Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

MT with AT codes

Old 08-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robmobabri is an unknown quantity at this point
MT with AT codes

First off, thank you for your time. I looked through the forum and saw several posts related to these codes but none where a MT is installed.

98 Honda Civic DX with D16Y7 engine and Manual transmission recently purchased used, where the previous owner did some shade-tree mechanic work that was unfortunately a bid sub-par. I have 4 error codes specific to an Automatic Transmission (listed below) but a Manual transmission is installed. I'm not sure where to start looking to clear these codes. Would it be a short in the wiring? Or is it possible the previous owner messed up something else that I should check into? I do know that the last owner cut the HO2S wire and has disabled the dash lights so the CEL does not work.

Codes:
P0700: Transmission Control System Error
P0758: Shift Solenoid b Electrical
P1756: torque converter clutch solenoid
P1768 AT clutch pressure control solenoid valve.
Old 08-14-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,121 Likes on 936 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: MT with AT codes

did they take an auto car and swap it to manual?
or put an auto ecu in a manual car?
Old 08-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

WTF cut wires for the O2 sensor? Then disabled the CEL so the next sucker prospective buyer wouldn't immediately know there's some huge freekin disaster under the hood?

Yea it sounds like a hack parts replacer just bolted in a manual trans and didn't change to a correct ECM.
You'll have to determine if the harness is for AT or MT. If you even want to deal with the hacked mess.

Does the car have to pass emissions testing? Abandon ship!
Sell it to some other sucker a young car enthusiast who wants a nice little car to rice out

EDIT: This new strikethrough isn't working as I expected. Damn.
Old 08-15-2018
Registered!!

I didn't consider it could be a trans swap. I entered the VIN into honda's e-store and it shows the original configuration was a 4 speed automatic.

I'm sure the harness is for AT because as i was trying to sort out the O2 sensor i pealed back alot of electrical tape and found 8 or 10 wires that look cut off. I'm guessing they tried to cut off the AT sensors and accidentally cut the secondary O2 sensor as well and just rolled with it. Unfortunately we do have to pass emissions where we are, but this was purchased by my son who is the "young car enthusiast who wants a nice little car to rice out." so he'll probably try to fix it up. Looks like a new ECM and harness are in his near future. Any advice on what to watch out for as we try to sort it out?
Old 08-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately we do have to pass emissions

the VIN ..........shows the original configuration was a 4 speed automatic.
Before you spend a dime on the "project", you better check with your local regulations and/or test officials and see if this car with the wrong type of trans would ever be able to pass testing and inspection.
Old 08-15-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the heads up ezone, I will check into it.