Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Possible water leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erik Olson is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible water leak?

Okay so I replaced my head gasket in the past, but I'm worried I've might've blown it again. My radiator hose for the bottom part of the radiator on my Honda Civic LX 1999 blew, and I drove it for maybe a minute before stopping my car. I'm concerned that my engine got hot and damaged the gasket/warped the head. I've been diagnosing why my temperature gauge started to go up a little and that concerned me. I'm trying to see if there is an exhaust leak in my car, but I did the test with the blue liquid and didn't seem to be an issue, however I noticed when I apply gas to my car while in neutral (when the engine is fairly hot), that there is a few drips of water that come out my tail pipe. I've read all over that it is normal (could be crappy sources when I googled it), but I'm thinking maybe it's not and their is a water leak? It's literally a few drops that come out. Any feedback would be great, thanks!
Old 07-22-2018
Registered!!

fgb000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Possible water leak?

Check your Walter pump at the bottom of the engine, It does get fu ked after 20 years.
Old 07-22-2018
Registered!!

I replaced the water pump, timing belt, radiator, head gasket, thermostat, hoses that were in bad shape, and an engine mount. So I don't think it's the water pump, but I can take a look at it. The water coming out of the exhaust is very little and it's water, not coolant (I've only noticed this running it for 10 minutes in a parking spot from no driving, and the engine was cool). So I'm wondering if I'm okay. I've repaired a few coolant leaks recently, and it seems to be working thus far, but my concern is the few drops of water. It might be fine thouggh from what I'm researching.
Old 07-22-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

If the hose blew it's because it was old, or it over pressurized.

I'm not sure on the time line; if you replaced the hose first, or just after it blew.

My advise is to drive it and watch the level/temp gauge. either the gasket is F'd or it isn't.

If all coolant related items were replaced prior to the hose issue, i'd guess that either

-the new head gasket failed, perhaps the head wasn't "true."

or

-the system wasn't properly vented after the new coolant was added and an air pocket lead to the over heating/pressure.
Old 07-22-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

there is a few drips of water that come out my tail pipe. I've read all over that it is normal (could be crappy sources when I googled it),
Chemistry 101: Water is a byproduct of combustion.

Fix the hose and fill the cooling system, burp the trapped air out, and drive it like normal.

If the head gasket got a little hurt it may take some drive time before you see can any evidence of that.
Old 07-22-2018
Registered!!

Lol and I took college level chemistry, so that's embarrassing. Sounds good, it looks like that might be the case. I'll burp the air pockets out of the coolant system.