Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

‘99 Civic LX automatic transmission...high rpm when changing gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plumbus is an unknown quantity at this point
‘99 Civic LX automatic transmission...high rpm when changing gears

Just bought a ‘99 Civic with 138k on it. Don’t mind my ignorance, I’m a new car owner and trying to learn the ins and outs of these things. The car Needed some tlc got the power steering rack replaced, distrubutor was done recently as well as alternator. I did the blower motor and tires myself, it runs nice and purrs beautifully. Anyway I’ve noticed when driving in D4 which is what I typically drive in at all times that it takes quite a while for the tranny to shift gears, especially above 3rd it seems. I’ll be at roughly 4,000-5,000 RPMs sometimes when shifting at 3rd gear. Checked the transmission fluid, it looks brown but not black. I bought 4 quarts of genuine Honda fluid and plan on doing the job myself, but I’ve heard that it can be risky which has got me bugging that I’m gonna screw something up. I’m worried that mixing Honda fluid with whatever is in there right now will do it.

i don’t know when the fluid has been changed last or If it has been changed at all. Do you guys think it would be safe to change it given the circumstances and will it solve my problem? If not, what could be other potential causes of this to happen, and could things that would seem completely irrelevant to the transmission be causing this issue? Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-20-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: ‘99 Civic LX automatic transmission...high rpm when changing gears

Google: automatic transmission flaring.

Some mechanics feel that if original ATF hasn't been replaced by the 100k mile mark then it's unsafe to replace it. If it were mine I would do a single ATF drain and fill (never use a flush machine) and see if it helps the problem. I also prefer to do a 3x3 atf change (google it) which can be done in a day, weeks, months or whatever the owner feels is best.

Other than that clean the transmission shift solenoids and gasket screen with brake cleaner or simple green.
Old 06-20-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ‘99 Civic LX automatic transmission...high rpm when changing gears

Drain and fill the fluid. You can't hurt it any worse than it already is.

It will probably hold about 2.5 quarts each time you drain and fill it.

Does the engine run well? Is it low on power? Anemic? Low engine power will make the trans shift late. Have a pro evaluate it?