Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission issues

Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jhammermil2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission issues

Hello all. I have a 1999 Honda Civic Lx with the automatic transmission. I am experiencing some hard shifts from 1-2. Also some intermittently mild flaring from 2-3. All other gears appear to be working fine. I am not experiencing any hard downshifts that I know of. Oddly enough, the hard shifting from 1-2 is greatly reduced if I let off the gas prior to the shift. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: Transmission issues

How many miles, some history and when the last automatic fluid change and how much fluid was changed
Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

Has about 225,000. Fluid is dark, but not burnt. I changed the fluid with Honda fluid and got no improvement. I just recently bought the car. I am not sure when the last fluid change was done. The previous owner didn't keep records.
Old 02-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Flare on 2-3 shift, usual cause at that mileage would be worn out 3rd clutch (but not the only possibility). Might be time for a trans job.

Maybe you found out why it was for sale?
Old 02-24-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Can try testing and cleaning shift solenoid (screen): http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...lenoid-tests-1

Probably not the isssue but, out of curiosity did you do a single atf change or a 3x3 atf change?:http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-c...trick-3091772/

Maybe Lubegard Red will help:
Amazon Amazon
I put some in mine about 30k miles ago and it helped smooth shifts some. Obviously, it won't fix one that may need a rebuild.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 02-24-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-24-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Do the above, screens, two or three more changes with Honda OEM fluid from the counter, not fluid for Honda which it what my crooked dealer does and most of, drive it easy back off to let her get into to top gears.

Check the line down on the radiator cooler back to transmission to see if by any chance it has a filter and replace it if it does. She is long past the pocket rocket for seeing who gets to the next red light quickest with the rest of the idiots out there.

Stay off the interstate if possible. Have tow insurance on your insurance. Start saving for a new transmission.

Good luck
Old 02-24-2017
Registered!!

I only did a single atf change with Honda fluid. I tested the solenoids and they all work and are within spec, but I have not removed them for cleaning. I did not see an in line filter. I am thinking about putting one though.

I hate to waste good Honda atf on a transmission this old. I wonder if using Valvoline maxlife would be a good idea. I've heard of using lube guard and lucas. What are your preferences?
Old 02-25-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jhammermil2008
I hate to waste good Honda atf on a transmission this old. I wonder if using Valvoline maxlife would be a good idea. I've heard of using lube guard and lucas. What are your preferences?
Been running Valvoline Maxlife (full syhthetic) for past 30k miles along with Lubegard Red. Both have seal conditioners which supposedly help in older transmissions. Reconditions rubber seals and valve body seals. Honestly, I doubt cleaning the solenoid screens will help but, it's worth a try. I never used Lucas Stop Slip but I've seen it and it's very thick.

If it were mine I would clean solenoid screen, do 3x3 ATF drain and fill (Maxlife) and add Lubegard Red. If that didn't help the issue then as last resort before rebuild or replace I would drain and save the ATF, use a can of Seafoam Transtune: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/s...FVW1wAodSHgIiA plus Luca Stop Slip
Old 02-25-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Fluid is cheap, a trans is not. The trans is already suspect, so...... You don't have a lot to lose, try whatever fluid and additive you want to try.
Old 02-25-2017
Registered!!

Update. So after the very first fluid change, I noticed a lot of gunk on the magnet. I cleaned it off and changed the fluid 2 more times with and noticed a moderate amount of gunk on it. I installed an inline filter and put Honda fluid in there. I added some trans tune by seafoam for cleaning purposes. I plan on changing the fluid again as soon as the trans tune has had a chance to do it's job. I'll then replace the filter and add lubegard. Lubegard seems to be favored by a lot of people, including some oem manufacturers. I am kind of weary of lucas because it's so thick.

The harsh shifting has improved quite noticeably. The flaring from 2-3 seems to be the same. Shifting is still perfect in other gears. With light throttle, the shifting is perfect and the flaring is non existent. I am still debating on cleaning the solenoids. I don't think it's the problem, but I may try it.

Search this Thread