Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What part does the thermostat connect to on a 97 civic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricky Hurlock is an unknown quantity at this point
What part does the thermostat connect to on a 97 civic?

So i got on the highway today, heard a loud pop and saw coolant all over my windows so I pulled over and popped the hood and saw that my radiator hose blew. So I had a friend pick me up, and I got a new one and installed it no problem, also filled up on coolant as well. As soon as I start driving again I notice my engine is starting to overheat again so I get off the next exit and pop the hood again and thought it could possibly be my thermostat. I got the thermostat out and it looked to be in perfect condition, then I took a look at what the thermostat was connected to and saw this lovely mess. Anybody know what this part is called? Obviously there’s a huge hole that shouldn’t be there but I’m not sure what part it is. I’m new to working on cars so I figured I’d give this forum a try. If anyone knows the answer please let me know. Haven’t even had the car for a week yet.
Old 02-02-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: What part does the thermostat connect to on a 97 civic?

Thermostat housing: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...0-p2a-000.html

Related thread: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-what-2779843/

Hopefully, you can find where the broken pieces are..possibly in coolant system? Drain the coolant system into a bucket. Drain it by removing the lower radiator hose. Inspect the bucket for broken/metal pieces. If none found. Remove the coolant jacket's drain bolt from the block (near knock sensor) drain and inpsect old coolant. Replace the thermostat housing and prior to installing the thermostat do a coolant flush (garden hose at low pressure) and a reverse coolant flush. Afterwards, install new Honda genuine thermostat and bleed (remove air) coolant per the Honda service manual for your car.
Old 02-20-2018
FrankenCivic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dcstomp83 is an unknown quantity at this point

that is awesome...i mean not really for you...but a first to see for me...all sorts of coolant related issues have crossed me but that has never....after you find all the metal pieces like Megalodong said and pretty much follow his steps...figure out what caused it...was it a weak point in the housing that just finally blew or did something internally make that happen? I would like to know for just good knowledge
Old 02-21-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If it overheated, be wary of the head gasket being blown.