Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overfilled engine oil. leaking like faucet now

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
htc1x is an unknown quantity at this point
Overfilled engine oil. leaking like faucet now

Hi,

Rookie mistake... Overfilled and when I started the engine, it burst instantly. I drove it about 3 miles across town yesterday after the burst. Today I drove about the the same. Got the oil light, added some oil to get home. I would hear a hissing sound during idle. Now when I start the car, it leaks like a faucet...What is blown??

I didnt add too much more, maybe 1,no more than 1.5 quart. What changed this oil change was I bought valvoline 10w-40 in 1.25gal and the FRAM High Milage filter, 2 of which I've never done. I usually use Rotella 15w-40 1 gal and regular FRAM.

Thanks

Last edited by htc1x; 02-01-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: Overfilled engine oil. leaking like faucet now

Clean it and look where it is leaking. I think you leak is unrelated to the 1 1/2 extra quarts. Probably remove filter, check mount surface and replace filter. Be sure filter is correct and I think your oil is a little heavy especially for certain V tec cam actuators ( can hang them and make a clatter sound) but that should not be the leak problem.
Old 02-01-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by htc1x
Now when I start the car, it leaks like a faucet...What is blown??
I agree with RIPSAW. Clean engine, inspect oil filter seal (first suspect) and oil drain bolt. Also, change the PCV valve. Take pictures of oil leak(s) and post them here.

Originally Posted by htc1x
I didnt add too much more, maybe 1,no more than 1.5 quart. What changed this oil change was I bought valvoline 10w-40 in 1.25gal and the FRAM High Milage filter, 2 of which I've never done. I usually use Rotella 15w-40 1 gal and regular FRAM.
5w-30 is recommended by manufacturer... why did you go with thicker viscosity of 15w-40? 1.5 quarts in a 4 cylinder is a lot of overage. The combination of both the overage and thicker viscosity adds to oil pressure may have damages seals. May have damaged the oil pump but, pics will help determine.

Here's a read for you: http://community.cartalk.com/discuss...-case-scenario
Old 02-01-2016
Registered!!

htc1x is an unknown quantity at this point

Stuck my head a little further and found the old filter gasket was still there!

I'm one of those who uses Rotella T for just about every engine, including 2 stroke gear lube. Good stuff. And I have a small leak that is more prominent in the summer,typical RMS. Thicker oil and weather has reduce my leaking significantly.

thanks!