Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ABS light not on, but codes stored.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oceanbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point
ABS light not on, but codes stored.

96 Civic EX, auto, D16Y8 engine.

To be clear, during normal vehicle operation (i.e., SCS unshorted) the ABS light does NOT come on. When I turn on the ignition the ABS light comes on briefly like all other dash lights.

I was tracking down an intermittent CEL (I have another thread on that), and to my surprise, when I shorted the SCS, the ABS light flashes several codes:

12, 16, 18, 54, 61

I tried resetting them by following the procedure in the manual (scs and brake pedal sequence) but it doesn't erase these codes. I also tried an alternate method (20 x ignition key on/off) and that didn't do anything either.

Everything I have seen in the service manuals about this talk about troubleshooting codes only when the ABS light is set.

Is this something to be worried about?

What do these codes mean when the ABS is not set?

for reference:
http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-de...lists-1901557/

Last edited by oceanbreeze; 11-10-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ABS light not on, but codes stored.

(Assuming the ABS system does work correctly)
If the warning light is not on while driving, don't worry about it... there is not a current fault.
The codes are stored in memory (history codes) and probably have been there for a long time.
IDK if there is a way to manually erase them without a capable scanner, I've never had to find out LOL.

It would be nice to erase the codes, so in the event of a future problem you won't have to sift through all the extra codes that may throw you off track.

11-18 wheel speed sensors
54 ABS main relay
61 ignition voltage

Last edited by ezone; 11-12-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oceanbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ABS light not on, but codes stored.

I was able to clear the stored codes by trying the scs and brake pedal sequence again (its from the factory service manual but search for it here). For anyone else who might be trying to erase ABS codes, the procedure requires brake pedal down and up but pay attention to the number of seconds as well as confirming the indicator state.