Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Changed fuel filter, car cranks but wont start!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kang50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Changed fuel filter, car cranks but wont start!!

im a new member on these forums, and im not the most experienced on working on cars. Ive done quit a few simple basic maintenance on cars over the years but i messed something up on my 97 civic lx.

just earlier today the car was running great. started up fine with no CEL codes or anything. i buy a new fuel filter and proceed to change it. i first start the car up and have it idle, then while its running, i removed the fuel relay fuse under the dash and the car died as expected after a few seconds. i disconnect the negative batt terminal, and proceed to swap out the filter.

after installing the new filter, i hook the batt back up, replace the fuse, and turn the key to the on position to let the system pressurize. i try to start it, but it wont turn over....just cranks and cranks. I check the filter, and its leaking slightly at the top fitting, so i take it off and try to readjust the new washers it came with.

after doing that a few times, it still kept leaking so i decided to not deal with the leaking filter and put my old filter back on and with the old washer. NOW no leaks. the system pressurizes and im able to get plenty of fuel through the old filter.

car still wont start though. i replaced the main relay and still doesnt start. battery is fine as well. i took the plugs out and each of them was wet with gasoline.

my guess is that i somehow flooded the system and thats why it wont start??

i really dont know, and i dont have many tools or expertise to dig into the whole engine.
Old 02-14-2015
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Changed fuel filter, car cranks but wont start!!

If it's flooded, then to clear it, push the accelerator pedal all the way in while cranking. This disables the fuel injectors and will eventually clear it. I had this happen to me last summer when I moved the car 10 ft down my driveway so I could use a ladder where the car used to be. (I don't do that anymore...)
Old 02-14-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the coil decide to poop out. Got spark?
Old 03-18-2015
AJ

endlesspurpose is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you line up the banjo bolt correctly on the top of the filter?? This bolt has a hole in it that has to be facing the correct side or it will not be able to feed fuel to the engine. It is best to mark the head of the bolt where the hole is so you can tighten it down, if you can not get correct alignment when you tighten the bolt, add a skinny washer to the bolt and tighten it again.
Old 09-29-2015
Registered!!

EdGasket is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by endlesspurpose
Did you line up the banjo bolt correctly on the top of the filter?? This bolt has a hole in it that has to be facing the correct side or it will not be able to feed fuel to the engine. It is best to mark the head of the bolt where the hole is so you can tighten it down, if you can not get correct alignment when you tighten the bolt, add a skinny washer to the bolt and tighten it again.
Rubbish! Banjo bolts are not oriented. The inner part with the hole in is smaller diameter than the hole and fluid can flow all around it.
Old 09-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

I would retrace your steps and see if you maybe bumped something else while under the hood. If the problem did not exist before, then it must be something you touched. I have not heard of unplugging the relay while the car is running. Is there a reason for that procedure?
Old 09-29-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
I have not heard of unplugging the relay while the car is running. Is there a reason for that procedure?
The usual reason is to lower the fuel pressure before opening a line and spraying fuel all over.

Kill pump, run engine til it quits, fuel line pressure is lowered.
Lower pressure = less spraying when you crack a line open.
Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
The usual reason is to lower the fuel pressure before opening a line and spraying fuel all over.

Kill pump, run engine til it quits, fuel line pressure is lowered.
Lower pressure = less spraying when you crack a line open.
These cars don't have the valve on the rail do they?
Old 09-30-2015

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
These cars don't have the valve on the rail do they?
No.
Thankfully, Honda doesn't have fuel pump problems the way some other manufacturers do.
Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

I just let the fuel come out of the filter, it's low pressure. If I did it for a living, I might care more about getting gas on me and fumes in the garage.
Old 09-30-2015

Digging for a way to kill a pump takes too long. I usually throw a rag over and let it spray LOL
Old 10-08-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Turn the fuel filter around..you installed it backwards..lol..jk