Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic98? is an unknown quantity at this point
thermostat?

Would a thermostat cause the heat to go from warm to cool and then warm? It doesn't over heat or anything the coolant is good but it does bubble. I just don't see any way of a head gasket. The temp gauges stays in the middle normal area never goes up past normal.
Old 11-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: thermostat?

Would a thermostat cause the heat to go from warm to cool and then warm?
Could.

but it does bubble.
Why would a full cooling system do this?
I just don't see any way of a head gasket.
Then explain the above question.
Old 11-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic98? is an unknown quantity at this point

Was thinking it wasn't opening correctly. I had it tested at a shop were they used a fluid to test the coolant and it was good. It don't get hot,smoke, or have water in the oil that's why I wasn't sure of head gasket. It does push it out into the overflow.
Old 11-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civic98?
Was thinking it wasn't opening correctly. I had it tested at a shop were they used a fluid to test the coolant and it was good. It don't get hot,smoke, or have water in the oil that's why I wasn't sure of head gasket.
Many blown head gaskets will pass all those common checks with flying colors.

A head gasket has maybe a dozen different jobs to do. Most people only look for about 3 or 4 of the more common failure areas.

It does push it out into the overflow.
They all do this as part of normal fluid expansion when heated, but the reservoir is supposed to go back to the original level when the engine cools down. And the radiator is supposed to stay completely full under all conditions.

If it fills the overflow reservoir while at the same time the radiator goes low.....

Read up on all the stuff about 7th gen head gasket issues.
6th gen uses the same gasket design.