Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Idle Control System Troubleshooting - Next Steps

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civNC00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Idle Control System Troubleshooting - Next Steps

Well, back to this classic misfiring problem. Same car, ~ 12 months / 15k miles later following a mechanic job where the following were replaced/repaired: 3 bent/bad valves, head gasket, water pump, timing belt, intake manifold (used, but correct part). Beforehand, I replaced the: spark plugs, plug wires, distributor rotor, and ignition coil.

About 3 weeks ago, I got some random misfire codes and the CEL blinked a few times while misfiring. Unsure what to do, I ran two bottles of injector cleaner through the car and it seemed to go away. Yesterday, it started again. I decided I would do a dry compression test to try and eliminate the valves as the problem. The results:

Cylinder 1 ~ 90 psi
Cylinder 2 < 30 psi
Cylinder 3 ~ 115 psi
Cylinder 4 ~ 90 psi

I am not sure how this can possibly be in only one year since the valve job. Anyhow, I decided to check the plugs for fouling, and I found:
https://i.imgur.com/1pUWsZN.jpg

Pretty nasty for such a short time. These were NGK plugs that the mechanic used. I went ahead and swapped in new NGK Iridiums. The car still idles poorly (low, and shuddering). It doesn't seem to have helped. Still, I guess my next step should be to check the plug wire resistances and ignition coil voltage (resistance?). Any thoughts?

Forgot to add: the error codes were
P0300 Random misfire
P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire
P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire
P1399 Random misfire
Old 01-17-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Low compression numbers...
#2 plug looks like that cylinder is about dead.

and oil burning is the hard crusty buildup on all the plugs. (Looks like you should use the cheap plain NGK V-Power instead of precious metal plugs)
Ring job for the oil burning.

Low compression, you probably need to do a cylinder leakage test to figure out what's leaking, where the compression loss is going ----you say it's valves, this should prove it.

Then compare which cylinders are leaking from which valves, and see if it's the same valves as last time.
Was a complete valve job done (replace 3 bent ones and grind/lap the others) last time, or was it just replacing the bent ones only?

A poorly done valve job has the potential for only lasting a short time.
Old 01-18-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Low compression numbers...
#2 plug looks like that cylinder is about dead.

and oil burning is the hard crusty buildup on all the plugs. (Looks like you should use the cheap plain NGK V-Power instead of precious metal plugs)
Ring job for the oil burning.

Low compression, you probably need to do a cylinder leakage test to figure out what's leaking, where the compression loss is going ----you say it's valves, this should prove it.

Then compare which cylinders are leaking from which valves, and see if it's the same valves as last time.
Was a complete valve job done (replace 3 bent ones and grind/lap the others) last time, or was it just replacing the bent ones only?

A poorly done valve job has the potential for only lasting a short time.
If the problem is both rings and valves, and it seems like it could be, it sounds like I may be better off looking for a rebuilt engine to do a swap with. Would you agree?

I do not think the head gasket is blown as it is not smoking as far as I can tell. The car has used oil for years though. Maybe not "burned" - never seen blue smoke. And not slung either as far as I can tell. Just... "used" - don't know how else to describe it...

Yes, I believe it was a full valve job with grinding the non replaced valves last time.

Last edited by civNC00; 01-18-2016 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civNC00
If the problem is both rings and valves, and it seems like it could be, it sounds like I may be better off looking for a rebuilt engine to do a swap with. Would you agree?
Used is an option, but I would spend a bit to freshen it up AND you don't know if it is going to be an oil user either.

I do not think the head gasket is blown as it is not smoking as far as I can tell. The car has used oil for years though. Maybe not "burned" - never seen blue smoke. And not slung either as far as I can tell. Just... "used" - don't know how else to describe it...
I did not suspect the head gasket at all.

Oil loss without leaking externally is considered consumption.
Any oil that is consumed inside the engine goes through the combustion chamber, and evidence is normally left on the spark plugs. (If it's losing oil through the exhaust valve stem seals, that would not show on the plugs, but that's not a typical issue.)

A hot catalytic converter can hide a lot of oil smoke.

And it's hard to see what isn't in front of you --smoke would be behind you and unless it's a huge cloud most would not notice in the rear view mirrors.
Old 01-18-2016
Registered!!

Used is an option, but I would spend a bit to freshen it up AND you don't know if it is going to be an oil user either.

I did not suspect the head gasket at all.

Oil loss without leaking externally is considered consumption.
Any oil that is consumed inside the engine goes through the combustion chamber, and evidence is normally left on the spark plugs. (If it's losing oil through the exhaust valve stem seals, that would not show on the plugs, but that's not a typical issue.)

A hot catalytic converter can hide a lot of oil smoke.

And it's hard to see what isn't in front of you --smoke would be behind you and unless it's a huge cloud most would not notice in the rear view mirrors.
What about a short block? I don't have any special tools or experience tearing down to the rings. Think it's worth it instead?
Old 01-18-2016

Originally Posted by civNC00
What about a short block?
Not if you have valve problems already. "Short block" usually means JUST the block/crank/pistons, no cylinder head.

I don't have any special tools or experience tearing down to the rings. Think it's worth it instead?
Good service manual?
Old 01-18-2016
Registered!!

Not if you have valve problems already. "Short block" usually means JUST the block/crank/pistons, no cylinder head.

Good service manual?
Well, the valves were all fixed about 12 months ago. 3 or 4 replaced, and the rest ground and lapped, head adjusted, etc. I'd be inclined to believe valves were not the problem. I don't know yet w/o the leakdown test or some other test. If valves are not the problem, would a short block be a good option?

I do have the 1996 - 2000 Honda Civic service manual.
Old 01-18-2016

. I'd be inclined to believe valves were not the problem. I don't know yet w/o the leakdown test or some other test. If valves are not the problem, would a short block be a good option?
You may have the cart in front of the horse. Figure out why compression is low first. THEN decide what to do about it.

Did you check valve clearances yet?