Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trunk won't lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
firstcarforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Trunk won't lock

Hey guys,

I just got myself a 2000 Honda Civic hatchback DX Special Edition (I'm in Canada). The car looks and drives great. I only have one problem (I searched but I couldn't find what I'm looking for. Maybe I missed a similar thread).

Today, I randomly decided to see if my trunk was locked and I realized it wasn't. When I tried to lock it, the little stick (sorry I don't know the parts name) goes down when I lock the trunk. However, the latch does not move. I can move the latch myself to put it in the closed position, but then I am not able to close the trunk. Pulling the trunk handle makes the latch go in the open position, regardless if the trunk is locked or not.

I removed the plastic cover to see if anything is missing or not connected but I couldn't determine anything being wrong.

So I was wondering if someone had a similar issue previously and knows how to solve it or knows where I can find a DIY. Any help is greatly appreciated and I hope this post will be the first of many for me.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trunk won't lock

I can't see for myself what it's doing, so I'll take a wild stab:

---

The manual says you should be able to close the hatch and then use the key to unlock and lock it.
Or push the lock **** down and close the hatch to lock it.
Outside handle should not open the hatch at this point until the key is used to unlock it.

It's got about 15 years worth of dirt and grime in the mechanisms, maybe it needs some cleaning and lubrication.

Does the outer handle have full range of movement?

Anything in the mechanisms binding from rust?

---

Does the car have an inside release cable by the drivers seat?

Striker or latch not in correct position? Bent? Loose or damaged?

EDIT: Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-20-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The manual says you should be able to close the hatch and then use the key to unlock and lock it.
Or push the lock **** down and close the hatch to lock it.
Outside handle should not open the hatch at this point until the key is used to unlock it.
This is what it should be doing but it isn't.

It's got about 15 years worth of dirt and grime in the mechanisms, maybe it needs some cleaning and lubrication.
I tried getting to the latch but the 3 screws are too tight (when I turn them, I am damaging them). I might be it needing lube and cleaning but I wont know until I take it apart. Waiting for my father to come over and give me a hand.

This is how the latch is

And once I close the trunk the latch should be like this around the striker no? I used a screwdriver to push it like that.

Does the outer handle have full range of movement?
Anything in the mechanisms binding from rust?
The outer handle does have full range of motion. The lock cylinder and cylinder rod move perfectly when turning the key. And the car is rust free (from the body panels to the trunk mechanisms)

Does the car have an inside release cable by the drivers seat?
Striker or latch not in correct position? Bent? Loose or damaged?
EDIT: Welcome to the forum!
No inside release. Striker is fine. I think the latch is fine (you can tell me from the 2 pics I posted). Thank you for the help and the warm welcome to the forum!
Old 06-20-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but the 3 screws are too tight (when I turn them, I am damaging them).
Impact Driver set from Sears

All I can see from your pics is that it latched. That tells nothing about the locking mechanism.
Old 06-20-2014
Registered!!

Little update

So the latch actually works fine. And the lock cylinder and cylinder rod work as well.

I think if the car is unlocked, when you press the trunk handle it should release the latch and if the car is locked, something should block that from happening. And for reason xyz, the trunk handle releases the latch regardless if the trunk is locked or not. So is there a missing part? Is a part broken? What could it be?

Again thanks for all the help.

Here are some pics if it can help

Last edited by firstcarforme; 06-20-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 06-20-2014

if the car is locked, something should block that from happening.
It would seem that lock part of the latch is not working. The lock is supposed to interrupt the mechanism for the outside handle so it can't release the latch when it's locked.

I still can't tell much from your pics, and I don't think pics would help me to watch it all in operation.

I'd take a wildass guess and say put a new latch in it.