Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

power window stuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jfudge01 is an unknown quantity at this point
power window stuck

97 civic ex coupe passenger side window. Recently, the switch for the passenger side window on the driver side stopped moving the window. Today, the switch on the passenger side stopped moving the window. Now its stuck and I cant raise the window. Is there anywhere to disengage the motor so that I can move the window up until I get a chance to replace parts?

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-19-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: power window stuck

Turn the key on.
Hold the window switch in the up position
S-l-o-w-l-y open the drivers door......If the window starts to run, hold the door in that position until the window is closed.
If this action gets the window motor to operate even a little bit, that would point to broken wires in the jamb harness.

Otherwise, I'd take the door panel off and manually power the window motor with jumper wires from a car battery or 12v drill battery (assuming the motor is still good).
Old 05-19-2014
Registered!!

Thanks, I tried the jumper cable thing and it worked. Tomorrow im gonna check all the fuses and connections and investigate further. Thanks for the advice
Old 05-20-2014
Registered!!

Ok, so even though I got my window up by jumping it straight to the battery, I still need to know what the problem is. Ive done a few basic tests and have an idea but could use any input.
I checked for resistance on the switch for both directions, if you count the hot wire to be 1, then up was 2 - 3, and down was 4 - 5. Upon pressing the switch in each respective direction, resistance would go down to near 0. So I thinj swotch works.
I checked for voltage when the key was in on the other side of that harness and it read 12 when grounded to the door. So the switch is getting power.
None of the other 4 wires showed any voltage with the key in, whether connected to ground or power but not sure if they are supposed to.
There was no resistance between wires 2-5, and 3-4.
When I connected the battery straight to the motor, it moved, but when I move the switch I dont even hear a noise like its trying.
The passenger window button that is located on the driver side stopped working a week or so ago, before the other one.

Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You need a good wiring diagram.
I measure for power and ground on live circuits, all connected and trying to operate.

The motor must have both power and ground to run. Which is missing when it doesn't run?

This was labeled as for a 96 but its sedan