Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Grinding noise while driving straight (just installed wheel bearing)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roelofs is an unknown quantity at this point
Grinding noise while driving straight (just installed wheel bearing)

Hello all,

I'm new here and figured I might as well join the group since I intend on having my car for awhile. Anyway, enough small talk.

I have a stock 1.6L 1998 Honda Civic CX with 235xxx miles. Two weeks ago I was getting a horrible grinding and vibration. A little bit of trouble shooting pointed towards a wheel bearing. Took it to my mechanic friend's shop and he put it through some other tests and came to the same conclusion. Driver side front wheel bearing. He replaced it and I didn't have any problems for the past couple weeks.

Driving home from work earlier today down the highway (70-80mph) in the pouring rain and driving straight, the car began making the same grinding noise and vibration.

Could the bearing he installed have been faulty? What are the odds that a tire or rim issue could be the culprit and create the same noise/vibration. The symptoms seem to be intermittent and the grinding doesn't seem to last for more than 30 seconds at a time.

Help is greatly appreciated as this is my commuter vehicle.

Thanks,

Roelofs
Old 04-30-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Grinding noise while driving straight (just installed wheel bearing)

If the issue was temporarily fixed with the new bearing and then started again, I'd be looking at that as the culprit. The mechanic gave you a warranty for the part, right?
Old 04-30-2014
Registered!!

Yes I have the paperwork for the warranty.
Old 04-30-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Old 04-30-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Might seem like a stupid question. But does the noise go away when your turning the wheel in anyone one direction?
Old 04-30-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

could be something else came off while driving, too. some forgotten bolts to torque down...
take back and see what he sees.
Old 04-30-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^Mechanics NEVER forget to put bolts back and everything is always torqued to spec Sandro. IMPOSSIBLE!!!!
Old 04-30-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

oh, dear, i hear ezone starting to scratch all the cases he know of...
Old 08-05-2014
Registered!!

Forgot to respond back to what the problem was. Turns out that it was the exhaust not being coupled together properly and began to sag. The muffler then was rubbing the inside of the bumper and when running hot and getting wet, would cause a grinding noise. Tightened the exhaust back up and the sound went away.
Old 08-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My name was mentioned, and I missed this thread HOW?

LOL

Thanks for the update