Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 civic bad water pump cause engine to die?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dmatlo00 is an unknown quantity at this point
99 civic bad water pump cause engine to die?

I was driving down the interstate when suddenly engine died (felt like ran out of gas but have full tank) car was normal temp. Car would turn over, but wouldn't start. looked under the hood coolant was all over the passenger side near back of engine and fire wall. I have had a small coolant leak prior to this. Radiator looks ok but was completely empty (cap was not hot at all after driving for 45 minutes!) as was the reserve, appeared that the coolant came from back side of engine. I am not a mechanic, but my guess is the water pump quit. Is this possible without the engine over heating? Is there a setting that shuts engine off when water pump quits, or could it effect the timing belt which caused it to die and not start? From what i read it could be lots of things, but from the fact that coolant was everywhere i assume it has to do with water pump. Sorry i am a very novice mechanic and may not be able to explain things well but please help! Car is currently setting on the interstate waiting to be towed.
Old 02-08-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 99 civic bad water pump cause engine to die?

That doesn't sound like a water pump issue because it was doing its job and pumping the coolant out of whatever hole you have in the system! It doesn't sound like you blew the head gasket since it drained so quickly, so you might have gotten lucky and it's just a blown hose. That's a relatively quick fix. You should try to pinpoint that leak ASAP.
Old 02-08-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Step #1: Refill the cooling system and figure out exactly what is leaking.

THEN you can figure out what happened and why.

^^^This guy says....

you popped a heater hose......

under the distributor......

it was ruined by.....

soaking in oil leaks.......

until the rubber.....

rotted and got weak.......

........and the distributor cap got wet and killed the engine.........

<<<end of transmission>>>
Old 02-08-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Dammit ezone, your answers are always so much cooler than mine! :-P
Old 02-08-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poopies
Dammit ezone, your answers are always so much cooler than mine! :-P
It was early for me. No coffee.