Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic 98 EX 2 Door Passenger Power Window No Power Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
canadian_l3acon is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic 98 EX 2 Door Passenger Power Window No Power Not Working

Hi there, I am in serious need of help. I have done alot of working on this passenger window and still no luck. Its a 1998 Honda civic EX 2 Door

I have done the following:

- checked possible blown fuses
- checked continuity at the motor for 12v (it reads 12v on both depending on which way the switch is engaged)
- replaced Motor and Regulator
- then checked if the Motor and Regulator are working both and the new unit and one previously installed, both work fine.
- replaced master switch driver side, still no luck

The driver window works fine, passenger window does not show any signs of power. I am thinking its a ground issue, but all the plugs in the master harness are in there fine (not loose).

Would I be correct in thinking its a ground issue?
Old 01-16-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic 98 EX 2 Door Passenger Power Window No Power Not Working

(it reads 12v on both depending on which way the switch is engaged)
I assume you mean you found 12v positive there, but what about ground?

When you get 12v on one wire, the other wire must be grounded in order for the motor to run.
Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

I have not tested negative voltage yet, but I am sure you are right that it is ground because when I hooked the motor straight up to the battery it worked fine. What would the lack of ground connection be caused from most likely? Could it be that the passenger side switch is bad? Neither the master switch nor the passenger switch has any affect on it though
Old 01-16-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be that the passenger side switch is bad?
Maybe, or maybe not.

What would the lack of ground connection be caused from most likely?
NOW you need a wiring diagram for that car. Once you have that, you should be able to figure out what/where to check for next.
Old 01-16-2014
Registered!!

Ha, I already checked the diagram. Guess I was hoping for an easier answer than to follow the wires around the car until I find a break. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2014

They break wiring in the door jamb.
You probably have a 50/50 chance of guessing wrong no matter what.
Better to test, not guess.
Old 01-16-2014

Originally Posted by canadian_l3acon
Could it be that the passenger side switch is bad?
Ha, I already checked the diagram.
You have a wiring diagram?

If you know what you are doing, you should be able to test the switch using the diagram as your guide.
Old 01-17-2014
Registered!!

You can pull up a wiring diagram from online correct? If so I have looked at a few. I want to add that I found out the up switch on the passenger panel is working, but nothing else (down switch passenger panel, up and down switch driver panel passenger switch).

I fear that ezone is right in saying there is a break in the wire in the door jam area. If this is the case, how could you go about doing anything about it? That area seems too small to work in, let alone crimp wires. Does the front fender have to come off? Thanks for your replies
Old 01-17-2014

You can pull up a wiring diagram from online correct? If so I have looked at a few.
I have access to the Honda Service Information website, but I cannot hotlink to factory info, and you wouldn't be able to see it if I did.

The stuff I do link/post on this site is found elsewhere on the net, (someone else already posted it first LOL).

Somewhere in this site someone has posted links to some factory service manuals online, but I can't tell you if there is any 6th gen stuff there.
how could you go about doing anything about it? That area seems too small to work in, let alone crimp wires.
Start with the most used door (usually the drivers door).
Peel back the rubber cover from the connector on the door, to expose the wires that run through the jamb area. Most of the time, the wires break off right at the terminals in the plug on the door and you can see them as soon as the boot is pulled back. '
Once you locate broken wires, you can figure out what to do about it.

Next you have to figure out how to get it disconnected from the door (THAT'S the tricky part for me).

The harness itself is part of the floor wiring harness inside the car.

Safest bet its to replace the harness (about USD$185 retail IIRC, but labor intensive), because most or all of the wires in the jambs are probably brittle and many are ready to break if you look at them cross-eyed.

If I have to repair, I disconnect from the door and feed the wires through the hole in the body to the interior, and do the repair work on the harness from inside the car.
Finish, feed it back through the jamb, reconnect to the door.

Alternative might be to run fresh wires through the jamb alongside the originals (through the rubber boot to keep water out?), bypass the connector/plug on the door and just take the new wires on inside the door to hook them up.