Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 Civic EX Evap System Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
egesteban is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1998 Civic EX Evap System Question

Maybe you should wait and see what (if anything) comes up if/when the code resets, instead of pulling your hair out...
Maybe it can lead to a more direct approach.
Yeah, I'm going to have dinner right now and go drive it afterwards to see if the monitor clears. How long do you think it'll take for me to know if it cleared or not?

1) If it rattles, maybe it will block one of the ports if it is flipped upside down?
I flipped it every which way and it still blows straight through on every port it has. Shouldn't it be similar to a PCV valve, where it only allows fresh air in, but doesn't let any air/vapors out? (not saying the PCV lets fresh air in lol just comparing it to how it might work.

Also, I came across this link: http://www.ej9.ru/civic/book/chpt_33.pdf

Go to page 18 of the PDF document where it tells you how to go about P1457, and my test passed and according to the manual nothing is wrong with my evap system. lol
Old 01-04-2014
Registered!!

Engine type B18B1 (originally D16y8)
coupe
EX
manual
California Emissions
Old 01-04-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I came across this link: http://www.ej9.ru/civic/book/chpt_33.pdf
WOW! You found something Grant put up...I didn't think there was hardly anything left, he shut down the site years ago. Smart guy, made up some good, useable info. http://www.tech2tech.net/

I flipped it every which way and it still blows straight through on every port it has. Shouldn't it be similar to a PCV valve, where it only allows fresh air in, but doesn't let any air/vapors out? (not saying the PCV lets fresh air in lol just comparing it to how it might work.
It was a guess, and I hate to guess without knowing....

But I figure it isn't part of the problem based on how it's connected to the CVS.

Engine type B18B1 (originally D16y8)
coupe
EX
manual
California Emissions
Damn, I forgot about the swap...
Looking back at earlier posts...
Have you figured out if purge (PCS) actually gets switched on by the PCM?
Does this use the original PCM, or one for the B18 engine?
Have you compared pinout diagrams for each to make sure the PCS terminal in the harness matches the PCM? (I can't get Acura info from Hondas site)
Same for the rest of the EVAP system parts?
(A good scanner with bidirectional controls could quickly tell you if it's wired right, each solenoid should click when activated through the scanner)

the test in red lettering
That was a bulletin info repost. I erased it from a different post after blabbing on about the 56 instead of the 57 code.

Old 01-04-2014
Registered!!

But I figure it isn't part of the problem based on how it's connected to the CVS.
I capped one of the three ports on the valve in the manner of letting it only suck air, not blow out. Weeeeeelllllllll..... The evap monitor cleared!!!!!!!

My GUESS is that the valve is bad and is only supposed to allow air in, and not out. I will go to pick-n-pull this coming week and grab a handful and compare them.

Does this use the original PCM, or one for the B18 engine?
Have you compared pinout diagrams for each to make sure the PCS terminal in the harness matches the PCM? (I can't get Acura info from Hondas site)
Same for the rest of the EVAP system parts?
It uses a different PCM, P75 ecu.
Yes the wiring is identical with the acura and the honda.
And yes, the same evap parts are used also.
Old 01-04-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Monitor may have ran, but is there a pending code set? EVAP is a 2 trip monitor, needs 2 failed test sessions to turn the light on.

I figured the rattling was a plain check ball, but maybe it's supposed to be under spring pressure to close a passage. I can't tell much from where I sit.
Seems like most of the rest of the cars just have the CVS vent to atmosphere, no 3-way valve.

Update if you get this solved please.
Old 01-04-2014
Registered!!

The monitor is in ready mode, green light on scanner. Before, the monitor would never clear, it would stay "pending" and the light would eventually pop up. And there is no pending code either.

Yes I looked in there with a flash light and I see a spring that appears to be out of it's 'seat' like popped off. Hence the ability to blow air through all directions.

And ill be sure to update the thread. This week I will be taking the car in to State Ref to get the motor legalized for the car and smog. I'll update then.
Old 02-02-2014
Registered!!

Update:

I had the car sitting for a while and it needed the battery replaced. So I did and my worst fear came true.. The monitor didn't clear and I got P1457 again. I tried manually cycling the valve on the intake manifold during the second drive cycle and the monitor cleared cleared but the code popped up as soon as that happened.

I am out of ideas now. Any idea as Ezone?
Old 02-02-2014

Originally Posted by egesteban
I tried manually cycling the valve on the intake manifold during the second drive cycle and the monitor cleared cleared but the code popped up as soon as that happened.
So it cleared the monitor because the monitor ran, but the test failed and set the code.

And you still can't get the purge valve to run normally....
As far as I can tell, the ECU does not send the ground signal for the EVAP Purge Control Solenoid Valve.
I think it's time to use a scantool with bi-directional control, see if the computer is able to operate the purge solenoid when commanded.

If it can, then make the system perform its self test (using the scantool) for the EVAP system.
If it can't, then figure out why.
Old 04-06-2014
Registered!!

Ok back again with this problem, the car has been parked for months and today I I drove it with my scanner and ran Mode 6 testing. Here are the results.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	86510  
Old 04-06-2014

More Secret Decoder Ring stuff?
Old 04-06-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
More Secret Decoder Ring stuff?
Unfortunately lol