Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tracking down front end vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old English is an unknown quantity at this point
Tracking down front end vibration.

Hey there i'm trying to find the cause of my front end vibration on a 2000 EX. I bought the car from a chick who'd plowed it into a few snow banks and have replaced the motor mounts, wheels, and front tires and yet the vibration still exists, and is getting worse I think.
What's happening is that it feels like the tires have flat spots but can't 'cos I changed them, but I get vibration between 50-60 mph and then at 75-80 mph. It also feels funny going real slow sometimes.
Here are some theories tell me what you think.
Do the wheels have to be hub centric as opposed to lug nut centric? (I changed steellies for alloys)
Upper control A arms look ok but do have a bit of grease outside the fitting, would that do it?
Outer ball joints don't look great, would that do it?
Shocks aren't great but that wouldn't be the 1st cause would it?
I'm prepared to do arms and joints but want to track it down before the investment.
Thanks for any help.
Old 11-14-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tracking down front end vibration.

it feels like the tires have flat spots

but I get vibration between 50-60 mph and then at 75-80 mph.

It also feels funny going real slow sometimes.
Raise the front wheels off the ground. Run the engine (idle), trans in gear, let the wheels spin about maybe 5-10 MPH.
Get in front of each tire and watch the tread as it spins.
Do they spin perfectly round, straight, and true? (I bet not)

Then watch from an angle, watch the lips of the rims as they spin. Round and true?

If there are flat spots or lumps in the tire, or a bent rim, or bent hub, you SHOULD be able to see these in the tire tread as it spins.

If you see a wheel wobble, put it on a different corner of the car and see if it still wobbles there. Bent hub(s)?

If you still suspect a tire issue, go to a shop that has a "road force balancer" and have them check. (Or carry in the wheels off the car, may be cheaper that way.)

Tire out of balance?
Liquid in a tire?
How about a bad axle inner CV joint causing vibration?

but can't 'cos I changed them,
Man, if I had a nickel......
Old 11-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fliptard will become famous soon enoughFliptard will become famous soon enough
Re: Tracking down front end vibration.

Check all your bushings in the front, make sure everything is tight. Check your wheel bearings, ball joints and tie-rod ends for play.