Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'98 HX 5spd; P1163 DTC with hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: '98 HX 5spd; P1163 DTC with hesitation

Originally Posted by ezone

Front (upper) sensor has 7 wires, right?
Originally Posted by ONe21
It's a 5 wire.
The wire diagram I pulled up shows a 7 wire sensor.......Maybe I didn't pick the right car.

So is the rest of this correct for your car?
98 HX
2 door
5 speed
US market/US built
D16Y5
Old 01-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ONe21 is an unknown quantity at this point

So is the rest of this correct for your car?
98 HX
2 door
5 speed
US market/US built
D16Y5
This is all correct. I'm pretty stinking frustrated with all this mess. I think I'm going to drop it off at Honda on Monday. Whatever it cost will be worth me keeping my sanity.

I've searched so many online forums hoping to get a clue, but everyone who seems to have the same issue never updates with a solution. Most have replaced all ignition components and emission components with no change. The only ones I've read with a happy ending obviously didn't have the same issue, because they cleaned out the EGR ports and everything was back to normal.
Old 02-18-2014
Registered!!

I've recently done some work and thought I would log it on here. I recently changed the fuel filter (OEM), spark plug wires (NGK), Dizzy and rotor (OEM), adjusted the valve lash, and changed the oil.

I didn't really expect this to solve my problem, but I was going to do it anyway and I figured that it couldn't hurt. I was right, it didn't help...

I took it to Honda yesterday, but they didn't have anything open for the next couple of days. I took it to the shop on base. I explained my issue to him and told him what I've replaced and he said "Oh, that's your fuel pump." I asked if they could test it for me and he said that they didn't have the equipment to do it...

Does it seem like it could be the fuel pump? I've eliminated quite a few things so far, so I'm running out of things to fix/test.

Since Honda didn't take me, I figured I'd ask before I schedule an appointment. It is a hassle to drop my car off and find a ride since Honda is kind of distant and I don't know too many people around here.
Old 02-18-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I took it to the shop on base.

Oh, that's your fuel pump."
This is NOT a General Motors product!
Sounds like.....Just......Don't ever let them diagnose anything. Ever. You will lose.

I asked if they could test it for me and he said that they didn't have the equipment to do it...
Fuel pressure is easily tested if you have the right equipment. Maybe Autozone can loan you the right stuff.
Does it seem like it could be the fuel pump?
No.
If you floor it, you have good power, right?

The cow-orker had his in dinking with it at the end of work today (clean EGR passages and do a valve adjust) and I remembered to ask about it... He still hasn't figured his out yet.

He said he thinks his problem is the ECM.
Not sure if he will try to buy that or not.

He said it has P1163, P1165, and it surges a little bit. He says he can feel when it goes into lean mode.
Old 02-19-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
This is NOT a General Motors product!
Sounds like.....Just......Don't ever let them diagnose anything. Ever. You will lose.

Fuel pressure is easily tested if you have the right equipment. Maybe Autozone can loan you the right stuff.
No.
If you floor it, you have good power, right?

The cow-orker had his in dinking with it at the end of work today (clean EGR passages and do a valve adjust) and I remembered to ask about it... He still hasn't figured his out yet.

He said he thinks his problem is the ECM.
Not sure if he will try to buy that or not.

He said it has P1163, P1165, and it surges a little bit. He says he can feel when it goes into lean mode.
Yeah, I kind of gave him a stare for a minute when he finished talking.

He says he can feel when it goes into lean mode.
I can't seem to "feel" lean burn. Also, when using either of my diagnostic apps it never appears to go into lean burn. I'm pretty sure that it isn't. I suspected the ECM before, but I cringe to think that is what it might be ($$$). I'll see if Honda can get me in this weekend maybe.
Old 02-19-2014

Originally Posted by ONe21
Yeah, I kind of gave him a stare for a minute when he finished talking.
*blinks in disbelief* <-- I love doing that to people

I can't seem to "feel" lean burn.
Also, when using either of my diagnostic apps it never appears to go into lean burn. I'm pretty sure that it isn't.
I haven't driven his car myself (I'm not sure that I have ever driven an HX for that matter), but I wouldn't doubt that he can feel it. (Or maybe he feels SOMEthing, but whether or not it's the lean burn mode IDK.)

I know I can feel a lot of very subtle stuff in cars that most non-technically aware people would never notice.

And you can watch a lot of things going on when you drive around with a good scanner attached to it.
I suspected the ECM before, but I cringe to think that is what it might be ($$$). I'll see if Honda can get me in this weekend maybe.
It's more than what the cow-orker paid for the car.
For the 5 speed car with Federal emissions, Majestic wants $760, and USA MSRP is $1085.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...IT+%28CABIN%29

If you want to bite the bullet DIY, it's plug and play.