Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Civic Ex Issue HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
winanthony94 is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 Civic Ex Issue HELP

A week ago I bought a Civic [D16Y8] and it seems when it gets warm it starts to hesitate while shifting through the gears. Best way I can explain it is if I was going about 20mph and in a high gear (like 4th or 5th), but it also seems that after a certain rpm (maybe about 2500/3000) it 'kicks' in and accelerates normal. Weird thing is, if I shut the car off and turn it back on it shifts like normal for a certain amount and time and goes back to the hesitation. I put in some NGK copper spark plugs and new wires, and cleaned the IACV. Where should I start?
Old 09-23-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 Civic Ex Issue HELP

I'd start with the transmission. My 1992 Toyota Paseo did something similar, but I didn't know squat for cars back them. When it was hot out or I've been driving for a while, it'd immediately shift from 2nd to 3rd (basically a split second in 2nd gear) and it would only downshift if I stomped the gas pedal a bunch like I was angrily pumping up a bike tire.

We ended up getting rid of the car before we could figure it out. I'm not too knowledgeable about auto transmissions, but I'd probably start with checking/topping (or changing) the transmission fluid.
Old 09-23-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I'd start with the transmission. My 1992 Toyota Paseo did something similar, but I didn't know squat for cars back them. When it was hot out or I've been driving for a while, it'd immediately shift from 2nd to 3rd (basically a split second in 2nd gear) and it would only downshift if I stomped the gas pedal a bunch like I was angrily pumping up a bike tire.

We ended up getting rid of the car before we could figure it out. I'm not too knowledgeable about auto transmissions, but I'd probably start with checking/topping (or changing) the transmission fluid.

Thank you for your reply, my Civic is a manual though. It's odd because the car runs absolutely perfect sometimes. But then after driving it from a stop, in all the gears it just feels like I have no power, until I hit a certain rpm then it springs into life but then repeats itself with the remaining gears. But when it does the hesitating thing, as soon as I shut my car off and turn it back on it runs perfect again until the issue pops up. Someone told me it could be the o2 sensor, which I plan on changing eventually anyways, but I also want to finish my tune-up with a new dizzy cap and rotor. I was just trying to get this issue fixed so I can move onto replacing everything else for good measure.
Old 09-23-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

if I was going about 20mph and in a high gear (like 4th or 5th),
If you are driving is way, that's having the engine RPM way too low, that's bogging the engine.

Otherwise, is the check engine light on? Got codes?
Does the CEL work? Read codes even if there is no CEL on, someone may have killed the bulb.
Old 09-24-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If you are driving is way, that's having the engine RPM way too low, that's bogging the engine.

Otherwise, is the check engine light on? Got codes?
Does the CEL work? Read codes even if there is no CEL on, someone may have killed the bulb.

Of course that's not how I'm driving, that's just the best way to explain my problem, that's what it feels like. I'm driving it normally it just feels like its not moving the way its suppose to, and I'm going to get some codes in a little bit.
Old 09-25-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Intermittent issues are never easy to diagnose. The o2 sensor (as you mentioned) is a possibility and never a bad part to change out if there's a lot of miles on the present one or you don't have prior history of last time (if ever) it's been replaced. However, they are somewhat expensive new for Denso OEM. When they're failing they don't always throw a CEL. You can ohms and volts test them with a DMM... google it.

When you cleaned the IACV did you also clean out the throttle body? A failing/weak ignition coil (in distributor) might cause the symptoms you described. Test:
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda...system-tests-4
Old 09-25-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Intermittent issues are never easy to diagnose. The o2 sensor (as you mentioned) is a possibility and never a bad part to change out if there's a lot of miles on the present one or you don't have prior history of last time (if ever) it's been replaced. However, they are somewhat expensive new for Denso OEM. When they're failing they don't always throw a CEL. You can ohms and volts test them with a DMM... google it.

When you cleaned the IACV did you also clean out the throttle body? A failing/weak ignition coil (in distributor) might cause the symptoms you described. Test:
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda...system-tests-4
Thank you, I will have to look into the tests. And I did not clean out the throttle body, which I will do today, and I will also test the ignition coil and post my results. I also got some codes yesterday:
P0505-Air control valve control circuit
P0131-Heated oxygen sensor - bank 1 sensor 1 (H02S11)
P0141-H02S12 (Heated oxygen sensor)
P0113-IAT sensor circuit high voltage
P1337-CSF sensor no signal