Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C valve core replacement

Old 09-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atarian is an unknown quantity at this point
A/C valve core replacement

First post! I have a 1999 EX, and the A/C Schrader valve on the low side is leaking. Apparently there are about a half-dozen Schrader valve styles, for some reason, which makes the hunt for the correct removal tool all the more 'fun'. I want the type that lets you replace the core without bleeding the system, and I think maybe this one is it: "Mastercool (MSC81490) R-134a Valve Core Remover/Installer"

Amazon.com: Mastercool (MSC81490) R-134a Valve Core Remover/Installer: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Mastercool (MSC81490) R-134a Valve Core Remover/Installer: Home Improvement

Mastercool's website is of limited value as far as application. I could get the 'do everything' kit but I only have Hondas and don't need anything for domestic cars.

Anyone know if this is the right one?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A/C valve core replacement

Can't tell if it's right for your car, you need to find and check out whatever specs it has.

Before you buy anything pricey, I'd say to try a valve core tool that fits any standard car (or bicycle) tire valve core (if it fits), see if your AC Schrader valve simply needs tightened.

That size is likely to fit at least one, if not both, valve cores in your AC.
If not, then one of these probably fits

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_22601_159/milton_industries_s-444_tire_valve_core_tool.html

Both of those are dirt cheap.
Old 09-30-2013
Registered!!

Good idea. I bought the $4 Chinese valve core kit with tool, two caps (one doesn't fit, neither has O-rings) and Schrader valve cores. Leaky core seems tight - I don't want to death torque it though. Just got done.

I went to Rockauto.com and called the local store and both say I have/need "JFA" style valves, although the O'Reilly guy was not completely sure. I'll end up ordering the more expensive valve core kit that does both - maybe it will fit my Accord also, although that's under warranty.
Old 09-30-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I know there are a few different types of the valves, but I have never seen a name or number designation in Hondas literature. We just remove it and match it up from a selection that came from the local parts store.
Honda wants to sell the complete line instead of the valve by itself on many of their cars.

Oh yeah, don't break yours off or you will be in a heap of trouble LOL.
Old 10-01-2013
Registered!!

Breaking it off would definitely suck! I can't believe the o-ring in the cap has held the system together for so long. I recharged it about two months ago and it's still fine. I just can't leave well enough alone, I guess.
Old 10-01-2013

Originally Posted by Atarian
! I can't believe the o-ring in the cap has held the system together for so long.
That's exactly why a quality cap has the rubber seal in it.
Of course, it has to be tight in order to do its job.