Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

stripped axle spline

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheapjoe is an unknown quantity at this point
stripped axle spline

Please tell me i didnt kill my trans... i just put in a JDM into my 98 civic. this is my DD so i just wanted it to be reliable. the motor install went fine, fired up with no issues. i installed my axles and went around the block for a test drive and to warm it up to set the timing. little did i know i didnt have the passengers axle fully seated and stripped the spline in front of the retaining ring. so now i nave little bits of those teeth in my trans. i have searched but either im looking for this info incorrectly or no other dummy has done this. please help me decide what i need to do. getting a new axle is not an issue, but what do i do about the metal bits... is my trans ruined??

this was my first motor swap and i was so proud when it fired up. now i have made matters worse.... please help
Old 08-18-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: stripped axle spline

Hmm.. You might be able to blow them out with an airline and then just install a new axle. It's worth a shot.
Old 08-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fliptard will become famous soon enoughFliptard will become famous soon enough
Re: stripped axle spline

you have a 50/50 chance of ruining your trans. Honda trans have a magnet on the inside to help catch shavings and such, but prolly won't catch them right away, so you take the chance of your gears catching them. I would drain the trans and see how much comes out and re-fill it or flush it with some cheap-o oil first. If you don't get much out, your going to have to slit the case and get the rest out.

If it were me, I would pull the trans and split it anyways and clean it out. You should only need some new oil and some Honda-bond to re-seal it. It's not hard to just pop it apart, clean it out and put it back together.

Did you get another d-series, or did you go b-series.? I have a write up on pulling apart a b-series trans, should be the same concept for d series, if it'll help.