Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help my oil is disappearing

Old 05-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Levi likes si is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Help my oil is disappearing

I have a 1999 honda civic si with a d16y8. I have to fill it up every 2 days and there is very little oil around the engine bay. Any input would be appreciated I have redone the oil pan gasket and the valve cover gasket as well
Old 05-20-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
Re: Help my oil is disappearing

Does the car smoke when you drive it? or at start up? see if you have smoke coming out the back.
Old 05-20-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

ehh.. burning oil that fast isn't a good sign
Old 05-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have to fill it up every 2 days
How many miles is that?
10 miles? 800?
Old 05-20-2013
Registered!!

It doesn't smoke and I usually drive about 200 to 300 Km. i checked under the car and there was oil by the crank shaft seal but there is a slight burnt smell like oil cooking
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

ishjay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Levi likes si
I have a 1999 honda civic si with a d16y8. I have to fill it up every 2 days and there is very little oil around the engine bay. Any input would be appreciated I have redone the oil pan gasket and the valve cover gasket as well
My question is how TF you have a single cam in a SI?!
That car you have isn't a si. D16y8 is from a EX model.
Just stating the fact.
Old 05-21-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian Si = USDM ex
Canadian SiR = USDM Si
That's how.

OP's post above yours states "kms," alluding to the fact that OP resides in Canada.
Old 05-21-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ you so smart
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

That's what I was wondering when I bought the car but in Canada the si has a d16y8 the sir has a b16
Old 05-21-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a popular swap. It's been swapped in for sure. Does it say "SiR" on the cluster? If it doesn't say SIR someone swapped in the B16.
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

It's a Canadian si. it hasn't been swapped the Canadian sir has the b16
Old 05-21-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Your contradicting yourself in that post. If it IS a Canadian Si then it HAS been swapped with the B16. If it is an AMERICAN Si it has NOT been swapped and it is an OEM b16.

So, your saying it's a Canadian Si, someone has swapped the engine.
Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

Sorry I wasn't clear. in Canada the civic si has a d16y8 known as a civic ex in the states the civic Sir in Canada has the b16 and is known in the states as the civic si unless Wikipedia and other sites are wrong
Old 05-23-2013
Registered!!

localkineguy is an unknown quantity at this point

To the OP, check for smoke coming out the tail pipe. It might go undetected if you're checking by looking through your rear view mirrors. Have a friend start up your car while you stand behind it.
I had a similar problem with a Mazda Protege5. I switched my head gasket (not to be confused with valve gasket) and that was a temporary fix. I started burning through oil again later on and I ended up junking the car. I think your block might be ever so slightly warped.
Did you ever overheat the engine?
Old 05-23-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I'm sorry. I got this thread mixed up with another one and I thought you had a B16.. my bad
Old 05-29-2013
Registered!!

No prob. And I haven't overheated the car. I'm not sure about the owner who had the car before me. I'm in the middle of replacing the crank shaft oil seal which was surrounded by oil and the base of the dip stick tube
Old 06-05-2013
Registered!!

Unhappy Re: Help my oil is disappearing

I found out that the piston rings are gone so I'm going to the wreckers and looking for another d16y8