Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

So.. What do I fix next?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98lxbuild is an unknown quantity at this point
So.. What do I fix next?

Hey y'all. I got a couple questions...

Well I was just driving to my girlfriends. And my car suddenly shut off.. Got out checked my batter wires were fine.. So they were.

I pushed it about a quarter mile to her house.
Started working on it. First thing I checked was fuel pump. Took out the fuse then took off the bolt on the filter to check for gas. My buddy said try to start it.. No gas pumped through. I said put the fuse in now lol. So we tried again and it pumped gas.

I checked for spark,no spark,
So to get to the point. I've changed all 4 spark plugs, wires(spark plug), new distributor cap, roater. I can't figure out what the deal is...

Could it be a fuse, ignition coil, timing belt? What are the other options it could be.. And where do I start...
Old 02-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So.. What do I fix next?

I checked for spark,no spark,
So....what is supposed to create the sparks?
Old 02-19-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
So....what is supposed to create the sparks?
Hmm.. Let me think about that I'm just learning my car.. And cars in general.

Spark plugs>spark plug wires> distributer cap> roater> distributer?> ignition coil> fuses?!
Old 02-19-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system.htm

Figure out how to test your coil.

HINT: The common tests using an ohm meter are usually worthless.
Live testing is usually needed.
Old 02-19-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1376& transactionid=1361321591-98150162141&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube _video_id=9K78XIhhjAQ[/autostream]
Old 02-19-2013

I have a problem with his video (yet another problem)

At about 5:00 he shows the coil making some sparks, rather briefly.
Then completely skips past what I see as the most common failure of these coils.

If OP can get to this point and sees ANY sparks at all (even if you only get a spark that will jump a 1/16 inch gap), then we know the coil is getting battery power, and the "igniter" is working to fire the coil.

Now.....while your helper is still cranking the engine, slowly move the contact AWAY from the secondary tower of the coil.
Increase the gap to about 3/4 inch.
Do the sparks still jump?
IS the coil capable of producing lightning bolts 3/4 inch long, or longer?

THIS is the acid test.

A coil that has its secondary insulation breached might only make a spark 1/8 inch long at your test point. That might pass the "test" in the video, but it isn't enough to run an engine.

Bad coil.
Old 02-21-2013
Registered!!

Alright everyone! I got my car running!!! It was the ignition coil. After changing the wires,sp, rotor, and d cap, i feel like my car starts up faster, and had more of a ...reactive power.. If anyone can tell me how I make sure my timing belt is correct lemme know with instructions on here please. The steps of Doing so is what I mean.
Old 02-21-2013

Ignition timing, or timing belt timing?

If you did not remove or move the distributor housing (base), then the ignition timing has not changed at all.

If you DID move the housing, just line up the marks from the bolts back to the same place they were when it came apart.
Find a timing light to really check timing if you think you need to, but the above will get it real close to correct.

Did you touch the timing belt? If you think it might be old, then change it.
Does the engine have all the power it should? Probably in time.
Serious lack of power? Might be out of time.