Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Adjustable Lower Control Arm

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ironliftr3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Adjustable Lower Control Arm

So I took my 98 Honda Civic in for an alignment after replacing the shocks. I was told I need to install an adjustable lower control arm in the rear as the right-rear wheel camber is -2.1 degrees and can't be adjusted. I was quoted $200 parts and labor.

Looking for other, more knowledgeable, opinions on this. Is this something that's common? The Civic has 170K on it, so I don't doubt the LCA could be damaged, but why wouldn't replacing it with an OEM be the way to go? How difficult is it to replace the control arm?

This was a 'new' mechanic, and I'm not entirely trusting of his recommendation.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2012
Registered!!

Re: Adjustable Lower Control Arm

I will add, everything is stock, nothing has been lowered, no over sized tires.
Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

Rear camber Kit - one side okay?

So after some research, it seems what I need is a rear camber kit. I don't know what the hell he was talking about with the adjustable lower control arm.

Next question, do I need to install one on each side, or is it okay to just install on the side that's having the camber issue? I was going to go with the Ingall's rubber (daily driver).
Old 10-10-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i think mechanic was thinking on the front suspension that uses double wishbone.

by any chance, is your rear suspension sagging low?

camber changes with car height, maybe springs getting tired or dampers too weak (not sure wich dampers you put on, but that could be a factor.).

don't think you would need special camber adjustment in stock suspension unless something did change. problem is somewhere else and could come back to bite.
Old 10-12-2012
Registered!!

So, spec is from 0 degrees to -2.0 degree. Mine is -2.1 degrees. So although a full degree from 'optimum', it's only 0.1 degrees out of spec.

Is this really something to be concerned with? Nothing appears to be sagging, and I'd never have known there was an 'issue' if the alignment didn't tell me so. I'm guessing that the springs, with 170K on them, are just a tad weakened.

I'm thinking I'm going to leave it as is.
Old 10-13-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

just be careful on low grip situations that makes the understeer more noticeable, otherwise should not be biggie