Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need help 96 civic right rear lock up

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96honciv is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help 96 civic right rear lock up

ive been searching for last two days on forums and google havent found my problem. so i have a 96 honda civic i just bought and after driving in town i noticed that the right rear was really hot so i manually adjusted it but it still drags. mainly after setting the e brake it would lock up until i broke it free now when i set the e brake i can tell the left rear is locked up and the right is mainly free but still can feel the drag. at first i thought it was master cylinder because my foot went to the floor a couple times but now it doesnt go to the floor anymore so now im thinking its either something with e brake linkage in the drum is sticking or the wheel cylinder i have to drive about a hour to my job just dont want it to catch fire from the drag. (the drag pre adjusting the drum would make it hard to get it to move from a stop now just a slight drag just want to get it fixed )
Old 08-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MarcAntaya is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need help 96 civic right rear lock up

My emergency brake cable housing had nicks in it which allowed water to get in. In the winter it would cause them to stick because the water would freeze. If the housing on yours is damaged maybe water got in and rusted the cabel preventing it from sliding freely and keeping the pads in contact with the drum even when you release the hand brake in the car.