Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Idle keeps Alternating from High RPM to Low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contingency is an unknown quantity at this point
Idle keeps Alternating from High RPM to Low RPM

I just got a 1996 Honda Civic LX. It had been sitting for awhile and I have been doing a lot of the basics such as:

Replaced Spark Plugs & Spark Plug Wires
Replaced Fuel Filter
Flushed Radiator
Changed the Oil
New Battery
Couple new hoses

Any ways it runs good but after it warms up it idles weird. It will idle up and down and alternate from higher RPM to lower RPM and I have no idea what the issue would be or how to fix it. So any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

COSMOE CRAMER is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Idle keeps Alternating from High RPM to Low RPM

Do your lights get brighter and dimmer with the idle, or as you drive at night as well?
Old 07-15-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

usually idle hunt means bad tps. could also be a possible issue with the idle air or fast idle valves getting stuck.
Old 07-23-2012
Registered!!

LittleBlueMonst is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Idle keeps Alternating from High RPM to Low RPM

My92 si had head job, also had replaced Ecu last year, new belts and hoses (silicon), shunk2pro intake, 4:1 exhaust mani, catback, new plugs, timing belt, fuel pump, iac valve. Last week, Throttle body plate seemed to stick a bit but wd40 fixed that. Seafoam cleared a bunch of crud. Also cleaned out throttle body. Cooling system flush and new fuel filter followed. Still some idling fluctuations. On the road it sputtered and died from lack of fuel (on the interstate in the middle of nowhere). I have already been stranded in Nowheresville for 3 days til a shop opens Monday morning. (thnkful for my solar phone charger). So, Any bets on TPS as culprit? If not that, what??? I am not a gearhead, just a gal who loves her LittleBlueMonster. Help me guys: Sos.

Last edited by LittleBlueMonst; 07-23-2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-01-2013
Registered!!

tlee808 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with the engine idling high then suddenly dropping then going back high and repeating the cycle. Then most likely cause is a vacuum leak. There can be many causes for a vacuum leak. One of the most common is the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve). There are 2 checks you can do. First is to unplug the IACV. The idle should drop if there is no other problem. If it does not it could be stuck open or there could be a vacuum leak some where else. The second check you can do is to take off the air filter and put your finger over the IACV hole in the throttle body. You should feel a strong vacuum. If you cover the hole the idle should drop, if there is no other problems. If you cover the hole and the idle still runs high you probably have a vacuum leak somewhere else. The reason the idle goes form high to low and back again is because the ECU drops the high idle but the vacuum leak causes the idle to rise again and the cycle repeats itself again. In my case the IACV seems to be stuck open. A cheap way to get around this is to cover the IACV hole which will bring you idle very low and to raise the idle back to normal by adjusting the throttle (gas pedel) cable.